Sign in to follow this  

Plane equation to transformation matrix

This topic is 2346 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I have the following problem:

I have a plane equation described by Ax+By+Cz=0. I would like to draw a part of this plane in OpenGL, but don't know how to convert A, B and C intro a transformationmatrix.

The original plane before multiplication is simply a quad (square) defined by the following points: (-1,0,-1), (1,0,-1), (1,0,1), (-1,0,1). Because D=0 there is no translation, so the middle of the plane should stay at (0,0,0).

A brief mathematical explanation would be fine.

thanks.

I believe in order to define a plane you must have a constant d
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Ax+By+Cz + d = 0[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Work from there.[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]
[/color][/size]

A plane given in Hessian form
[b]p[/b] . [b]n[/b] - d == 0
is infinite. It does have a normal defining its orientation and a distance from the origin of the reference co-ordinate system to the closest point of all points of the space that together build up the plane, but it does not have a (clear) tangent, bi-tangent, or origin (those values are more or less arbitrary). This is opposed to another representation form of a plane
[b]O[/b] + u * [b]t[/b] + v * [b]b[/b], u[sub]1[/sub] <= u <= u[sub]2[/sub], v[sub]1[/sub] <= v <= v[sub]2[/sub]
so that, assuming the typical |[b]t[/b]| = |[b]b[/b]| = 1 and [b]t[/b] . [b]b[/b] == 0,
[b]t[/b] x [b]b[/b] =: [b]n[/b]
[b]O[/b] . [b]n[/b] =: d

Hence asking for a transformation that maps the given quad onto the plane gives ambiguous results.

You can pick any point [b]p[/b] that fulfills
[b]p[/b] . [b]n[/b] - d == 0
as the translation part of the transformation. Perhaps you want to use the point closest to the origin for that purpose, then
[b]p[/b] := d * [b]n[/b]

Next, choose any (unit length) vector that is perpendicular to [b]n[/b] to get, say, the tangent [b]t[/b]. It looks like
[b]t[/b] . [b]n[/b] = 0
You'll notice that there is an infinite amount of possibilities, as already mentioned above.

Then utilize [b]t[/b] x [b]b[/b] =: [b]n[/b] to get the bi-tangent, i.e.
[b]b[/b] = -[b]t[/b] x [b]n[/b]

Next compose all these into a transformation matrix, e.g. for column vectors with the translation as 4th component. The quad in the OP has a normal in direction of the principal y axis that should be mapped to [b]n[/b], and lets use the x direction for [b]t[/b] and hence the -z direction for [b]b[/b]. So I'd expect something like
[ [b]t[/b] [b]n[/b] -[b][b]b[/b] p[/b] ]

I'm not sure whether or not [b]b[/b] need to be negated at last. Please double check this stuff.

This topic is 2346 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.