Build a foundation

Started by
6 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 9 months ago
I have been playing games my whole life and would really love to start a career in games. But I don't have many resources other than the Internet. Can some one help me?
Advertisement

I have been playing games my whole life and would really love to start a career in games. But I don't have many resources other than the Internet. Can some one help me?

Read your sentence again, only this time replace the word "games" with "rocketry", "astrophysics", or "engineering". If you wanted to do those things, would you be asking someone on the Internet to help you? Of course not. You know what to do. Go to your library, talk to a guidance counselor at school, study hard, get into a college, etc. Starting a career in games takes tremendous dedication, drive, talent, and a skill set that most people underestimate. No one but yourself can help you with such a general goal.
Ec, read the Breaking In FAQs (the Breaking In forum is where I'm moving this thread now; the FAQs are above).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well I live in a community where games are frowned apon. I wasn't asking for help in terms of do it for me. I would just like a point in the right direct. Like what course I need to take in college, and what kind of equipment I need. I have drive and commitment just not clear direction to put it to.
But I don't have many resources other than the Internet[/quote]In fact, the internet and a good computer is all you need to productively get started learning.

Here's what you can do with just the internet:

- Get information on how to get started. There's plenty of free advice, books, and information. We have a FAQ here. We have countless posts here that explain how to get started. If you just browse through the beginners forum, and look for questions on how to get started, or what language to start with, you'll get plenty of information.
- Get all the tools you need. You'll have access to everything you need to make something of professional quality. Compilers, editors, libraries, and the works.

Here's what you can't do with the internet:

- Avoid hard work.

Did you research anything? Did you search this forum for how to get started? You can't claim this information is hard to find. I see two posts today in the for beginners forum directly asking for how to get started, with plenty of answers.

If you have the drive and commitment for years of work to become a programmer, you surely have the drive and commitment to just read what is trivially found...

what course I need to take in college, and what kind of equipment I need. I have drive and commitment just not clear direction to put it to.

READ THIS FORUM'S FAQS. The answers to these frequently-asked questions are there. Scroll up. Click. Read.

You might want to single in what type of game you want to make. Then you start by seeing if other people have made that type of game. You then start to search and see how complete noobs broke into that type of game. You then want to see how many noobs have completed and made money off those games.

In all due respect, Unreal Development Kit, or udk.com is a great place to start if you want to work on a AAA game engine. For modeling, you can use 3dtotal.com and learn from there. As for the other aspects of making games, you might want to search for some tips on marketing and advertising. The key factor indies screw up on IS marketing and advertising.

If you can reflect on your life, and find out that you really love games then do it. You will find out, some of the bugs, errors, just utter weird trash that blocks your way will turn your hair gray early. Is it worth it? Is selling 500k copies of a 5$ game worth it to you? I mean you can just go work at mcdonalds and in 20 years retire with a good investment portfolio.

Don't bull crap yourself, if you really want to make games, then do it. And the internet is a awesome free place to learn how to make games.
Failure is simply denying the truth and refusing to adapt for success. Failure is synthetic, invented by man to justify his laziness and lack of moral conduct. What truely lies within failure is neither primative or genetic. What failure is at the heart, is man's inability to rise and meet the challenge. Success is natural, only happening when man stops trying to imitate a synthetic or imaginable object. Once man starts acting outside his emotional standpoints, he will stop trying to imitate synthetic or imaginable objects called forth by the replication of his emptiness inside his mind. Man's mind is forever idle and therefore shall call forth through the primitives of such subconscious thoughts and behaviors that Success is unnatural and that failure is natural. Success is simply doing something at man's full natural abilities and power, failure is the inability to act on what man wants, dreams, wishes, invisions, or thinks himself to do. ~ RED (concluded when I was 5 years old looking at the world with wide eyes)

In all due respect, Unreal Development Kit, or udk.com is a great place to start if you want to work on a AAA game engine. For modeling, you can use 3dtotal.com and learn from there. As for the other aspects of making games, you might want to search for some tips on marketing and advertising. The key factor indies screw up on IS marketing and advertising.

Eclipse, RedPin is talking about working in the indie arena, as a programmer (or even as a lone wolf indie developer/publisher). Since you asked about "a career in games," you should read this forum's FAQs as suggested before -- game careers exist in the mainstream industry as well as the indie arena. You don't necessarily have to be a programmer or lone wolf to have a career in games, and sometimes this forum's regulars can lose sight of that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement