Sign in to follow this  

Game art from the internet

This topic is 2340 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Board,

my current game project (2D) is almost done and I am in the polishing phase. I put together my sprites with free sprite creator tools, so I should be safe here.
Anyway, I am lacking tilesets for my game. I downloaded one to get the tile-engine to work and being able to develop the collision detection and stuff. This tileset
could be surely used in my game as it fits (not good, but it fits). However, I believe that this tileset is a rip of a pokemon game and even though you find them all over
the internet and the guys who put them online say it is free to use, I am not quite sure if this is true.

My question therefore is, can I use such tilesets in free and non-commercial games?

Thanks in advance and cheers,
OneOf6

OK,

means, no matter if a game is for free or commercial, if protected art is used you will always be fined?
...then some funny games will never see the light!

Cheers,
OneOf6

If they are ripped from existing games then they are copyrighted. You cannot redistribute them without the copyright holder's permission regardless if it is in a free or paid product. So legally, no is the answer to your question.

However, it doesn't stop from people from trying and not everyone gets 'caught'.

Alright,

then thanks for your replies. I will freeze my project in the current phase until I found some free art.
The risk might not be high of getting caught but the effect will be I bet!!

So long,
OneOf6

[quote name='OneOf6' timestamp='1310976807' post='4836705']
no matter if a game is for free or commercial, if protected art is used you will always be fined?[/quote]
Nobody ever said that. Have you read the FAQ?

[quote name='OneOf6' timestamp='1310997140' post='4836800']
Alright,

then thanks for your replies. I will freeze my project in the current phase until I found some free art.
[/quote]
Why not post a request for help in the Help wanted forum?

[quote name='Obscure' timestamp='1311156015' post='4837872']
[quote name='OneOf6' timestamp='1310997140' post='4836800']
Alright,

[/quote]
Why not post a request for help in the Help wanted forum?
[/quote]

And why not use flat-colored textures until you find an artist, instead of "freezing your project" ?

...mmh, good questions.
In general I don't expect much from "Help...[insert whatever topic]" threads, based upon experience from other forums.
Therefore I didn't have a look into it I must admit. But I browsed through it a little now and there are really a lot of guys willing to help.
I may give it a try, for now I found free tilesets from http://www.tekepon.net/fsm/ which will do the job.

Thanks!

This topic is 2340 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.