Game art from the internet

Started by
8 comments, last by OneOf6 12 years, 9 months ago
Hi Board,

my current game project (2D) is almost done and I am in the polishing phase. I put together my sprites with free sprite creator tools, so I should be safe here.
Anyway, I am lacking tilesets for my game. I downloaded one to get the tile-engine to work and being able to develop the collision detection and stuff. This tileset
could be surely used in my game as it fits (not good, but it fits). However, I believe that this tileset is a rip of a pokemon game and even though you find them all over
the internet and the guys who put them online say it is free to use, I am not quite sure if this is true.

My question therefore is, can I use such tilesets in free and non-commercial games?

Thanks in advance and cheers,
OneOf6
...every second is a new spark, sets the universe aflame
(Bruce Dickinson)
Advertisement
How willing are you to risk using art that you're suspicious about?
That's what it comes down to. It's your tolerance for risk. That's what your lawyer would tell you. (I'm not a lawyer, btw.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

OK,

means, no matter if a game is for free or commercial, if protected art is used you will always be fined?
...then some funny games will never see the light!

Cheers,
OneOf6
(Bruce Dickinson)
If they are ripped from existing games then they are copyrighted. You cannot redistribute them without the copyright holder's permission regardless if it is in a free or paid product. So legally, no is the answer to your question.

However, it doesn't stop from people from trying and not everyone gets 'caught'.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Alright,

then thanks for your replies. I will freeze my project in the current phase until I found some free art.
The risk might not be high of getting caught but the effect will be I bet!!

So long,
OneOf6
(Bruce Dickinson)

no matter if a game is for free or commercial, if protected art is used you will always be fined?

Nobody ever said that. Have you read the FAQ?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well, this was no statement, but a question. Therefore the question mark! Yaustar answered it.
(Bruce Dickinson)

Alright,

then thanks for your replies. I will freeze my project in the current phase until I found some free art.

Why not post a request for help in the Help wanted forum?
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

[quote name='OneOf6' timestamp='1310997140' post='4836800']
Alright,

Why not post a request for help in the Help wanted forum?
[/quote]

And why not use flat-colored textures until you find an artist, instead of "freezing your project" ?
...mmh, good questions.
In general I don't expect much from "Help...[insert whatever topic]" threads, based upon experience from other forums.
Therefore I didn't have a look into it I must admit. But I browsed through it a little now and there are really a lot of guys willing to help.
I may give it a try, for now I found free tilesets from http://www.tekepon.net/fsm/ which will do the job.

Thanks!
(Bruce Dickinson)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement