Sign in to follow this  
dan.octavian

Game/tools choice for a novice modder

I would like to hear your opinions on what game and tools I should use for getting started with modding.

Summary of my situation:
I have finished my first year of a computer science degree
I am used to working in java, c++, c#
I am interested in the specific aspect of programming when it comes to making a mod, I am not really interested in working on asset creation (maps ,models etc.)

Many thanks for your support.

[quote name='dandroid' timestamp='1310760970' post='4835785']
I would like to hear your opinions on what game and tools I should use for getting started with modding.

Summary of my situation:
I have finished my first year of a computer science degree
I am used to working in java, c++, c#
I am interested in the specific aspect of programming when it comes to making a mod, I am not really interested in working on asset creation (maps ,models etc.)

Many thanks for your support.
[/quote]
There're many games which are modable, you should pick up one and give it a try. The unreal engine is even available as standalone developer kit (called UDK), which provides you with a free access to great tools, thought the UDK is targeted to be used to create whole new games.

My sugguestion would be to pick up an unreal engine based and modable game and try to alter it.

Kind of a plug here, but [url="http://www.openclonk.org/"]OpenClonk[/url] is designed from the ground up to be completely modable. All in-game objects are scripted with a C-like syntax, C4Script.

For a beginner in game modding, OpenClonk is as open to modification as you'll get.

GDNet+ thank you for your suggestion, I had already at the udk, it seems like a good choice, perhaps I'll go with that.

Ringwhaul thanks for letting me know about OpenClonk, looks good. Reminds of Terraria. Looks like a game on which you can really expand.