is the book Beginning C++ Through Game Programming Third Edition a good book for complete beginners

Started by
2 comments, last by blewisjr 12 years, 9 months ago
i was just wondering if

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming Third Edition
is a good book for a complete beginners. also does it teach 2d sidescrolling games or text based games or ect.
Advertisement
It is subjective opinion. If you like to learn the language by example, then it can be good for you however the games you will make with the book will be simple console based games where you learn just the basic functionalities of the language. With only 400 something pages it did not cover the topics deeply enought for me. I went with this book instead and now am searching for something that guides me through the basics of game developement, both graphic and non-graphic.
[size="1"]C# .NET
As far as I know I don't think there is any 2d side scrolling game being taught in it...The author has talked of only C++ and made some very elementary console based games..the C++ content is also very basic level and good for a beginner with C++..I would suggest Thinking in C++ or Bjarne Stroustrup -- The C++ Programming Language, 3rd Ed if u want a deeper understanding of the internal although I must warn you these books are gonna take some time..:)
I second the Stroustrup Book however I suggest his other book known as the swan book. Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ It is a very excellent book that will teach you so many useful things and more suited to new programmers then The C++ programming language book is. Learning a language by game programming type books typically glaze over to many things because they are trying to teach too much at once. I would suggest learning the language first, then make some console based games so you understand how they are composed then by this point you can learn 2D with something like SDL by just looking at the documentation. When you are ready for 3D you can pick up a book on OpenGL or Direct3D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement