Mayples Where to Start Thread

Started by
7 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 12 years, 9 months ago
[size="4"][color="#ff0000"]*I will take my stuff elsewhere - please delete.*
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

Advertisement
-reserved for part 2-
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

-reserved for part 3-

Your language breakdown list doesn't really make much sense.

The progression ( if thats what the -> represent ) are highly the subject of opinion and in some cases just make no sense. For example C#/XNA should be on the windows platform, and C++ should be on the Xbox platform, Android development DICTATES Java and XML ( and no Javascript ), iOS is exclusively Obj-C native, with C# and HTML as options through third party products, etc... And really, did you just recommend Delphi? ;)

I am actually working on a blog post similar to what you have done here, as a bit of a handy quick response to certain threads, so I agree with what you are doing. I would generally though, recommend sticking to what you have experience with, instead of hearsay. There are wayyyyyyyyy too many bad ideas being bounced around new game developers because of hearsay.

Your language breakdown list doesn't really make much sense.

The progression ( if thats what the -> represent ) are highly the subject of opinion and in some cases just make no sense. For example C#/XNA should be on the windows platform, and C++ should be on the Xbox platform, Android development DICTATES Java and XML ( and no Javascript ), iOS is exclusively Obj-C native, with C# and HTML as options through third party products, etc... And really, did you just recommend Delphi? ;)

I am actually working on a blog post similar to what you have done here, as a bit of a handy quick response to certain threads, so I agree with what you are doing. I would generally though, recommend sticking to what you have experience with, instead of hearsay. There are wayyyyyyyyy too many bad ideas being bounced around new game developers because of hearsay.

Those are not languages that are needed for the development. That is learning curves to understand the fundamentals. C#->XNA platform for XBOXLive is one of the easiest transitions for XBOX game creation. The sentance above dictates that path of learning for from scratch to current. The list of languages however is stated that the reccomended starting point for them is this way. Learning Python will teach you the fundamentals of programming fairly fast. As stated you can learn C++ first, however the learning curve is fairly steep.

Hmm... out of curiosity, what makes this "OFFICIAL"? Oh, and W3Schools should be avoided. Check out some of the resources provided at that URL.

[color="#ff0000"]**PLEASE HELP BUILD THIS RESOURCE LIST. MAKE A POST AND PLACE WHICH CATAGORY IT FALLS UNDER WITH LINKS TO TUTORIALS OR GUIDES.**

So you're saying the forum's FAQs don't hack it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='Mayple' timestamp='1310820607' post='4835973']
[color="#ff0000"]**PLEASE HELP BUILD THIS RESOURCE LIST. MAKE A POST AND PLACE WHICH CATAGORY IT FALLS UNDER WITH LINKS TO TUTORIALS OR GUIDES.**

So you're saying the forum's FAQs don't hack it.
[/quote]

I am saying that the FAQ doesn't cover everything. There are some people coming about HTML5. Some people ask about where to start about other venues. I am merely making what I would love to see a new person on where to find information.

A couple of points;

Lua is NOT LUA.
JavaScript and Python are also used in game scripting so there is no 'progression' there; hell if anything Lua is probably simpler than either of them.

Python -> Java -> C++ makes no real sense; there is no advantage in learning Java, if anything you'd be better off learning C# in that progression as C# is fundimentally a better language. Same deal with the Python -> Java -> Objective-C path, the Java is redundant.

XNA is NOT a language and as such mentioning it in any way implying it is one is just down right wrong.

To be honest the whole thing just has a 'blind leading the blind' feel about it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement