Sign in to follow this  
thecoast47

Noob Question

Okay, what i want to do is create a server socket application on my computer and leave my computer on and treat it like a server, while the clients-socket applications (running on other computers over the net) connect to the server on my desktop computer. So is this doable or what?
I haven't had much experience with network programming in general and i was wondering if my idea is feasible for a simple 2D game i'm making.

[EDIT]
Also the game is written in C++/SDL/OPENGL.
The physics textures and lighting is done but the GUI is not complete.
I also tried to integrate the game with lua half way through development but it found it difficult so i scrapped the lua integration, is lua important for a game like this?

It is possible.

Lua is not required. Having a scripting language in your game can be useful, for speeding up development or opening the game up to the modding community. It is an investment in time, so its utility must be balanced with practicality.

[quote name='thecoast47' timestamp='1310825983' post='4835997']
Okay, what i want to do is create a server socket application on my computer and leave my computer on and treat it like a server, while the clients-socket applications (running on other computers over the net) connect to the server on my desktop computer. So is this doable or what?
[/quote]

It is possible. You will need to set up port forwarding on your router for it to be visible from the outside internet.
There are some more pointers in the FAQ to various pros and cons of various server set-ups (including the "server in your closet" and "your machine as a server" options).