Sign in to follow this  

How to make a game like World of Warcraft?

This topic is 2343 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My friend and I have been playing a game called World of Warcraft for a couple months, and it has inspired us to make a game like it. We have a lot of ideas that we think would be a great improvement over the standard WoW game, and so we think that it is a good idea to just make one ourselves. We know it probably won't be as popular as WoW, even though it has better content, but we think we could probably get a few thousand players if we make it cheaper than WoW? Like, just charging a person for the game once and not a monthly fee. We don't have much to do this summer, and are looking to get a lot of it done so we can show the beta version to our friends when school starts again. So how do we go about this? Thanks!

The first thing you will need is a degree in computer science from a good university. Without that, you will not succeed.

World of Warcraft is so complicated that it required more than one person with a degree.

[quote name='shadowisadog' timestamp='1310840693' post='4836077']
[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310839778' post='4836071']
Please help we really want to do this!
[/quote]
3. Sit there and actually read how many names are on the screen.
[/quote]

I know that World of Warcraft has a lot of people working on it, but like I said, our game isn't going to be as [i]big[/i] as WoW, just better features and gameplay, and as far as the money for making this game goes, isn't a lot of it for servers and stuff like that? Again, we only expect a few thousand people, so we could probably get a really small server for a lot cheaper, and even run it on our computers in its early stages (alpha, beta, etc.). :cool:

Oh and we also wouldn't need people to work on the servers, so that is a lot less too. As for art, I know a couple artists, and if we really need to, we can probably get another friend to help us with this game.

[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310841273' post='4836080']
Oh and we also wouldn't need people to work on the servers, so that is a lot less too. As for art, I know a couple artists, and if we really need to, we can probably get another friend to help us with this game.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.cppgameprogramming.com/cgi/nav.cgi?page=intro"]http://www.cppgameprogramming.com/cgi/nav.cgi?page=intro[/url]

Square one.

-Mayple

[quote name='Mayple' timestamp='1310841480' post='4836083']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.cppgameprogramming.com/cgi/nav.cgi?page=intro"]http://www.cppgamepr....cgi?page=intro[/url]

Square one.

-Mayple
[/quote]

Thanks, but we aren't trying to make a text-based game. World of Warcraft has graphics and effects that you can actually see, like this:

[attachment=4208:wow.jpg]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect"]This[/url] must be the best piece of advice I see posted here regarding questions like yours, and I advise that you take it in and start where your hand can reach.

[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310841182' post='4836078']
[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310839778' post='4836071']
Please help we really want to do this!
[/quote]
3. Sit there and actually read how many names are on the screen.
[/quote]

I know that World of Warcraft has a lot of people working on it, but like I said, our game isn't going to be as [i]big[/i] as WoW, just better features and gameplay, and as far as the money for making this game goes, isn't a lot of it for servers and stuff like that? Again, we only expect a few thousand people, so we could probably get a really small server for a lot cheaper, and even run it on our computers in its early stages (alpha, beta, etc.). :cool:
[/quote]

Better features and game play naturally imply having a larger team. What makes you so certain that YOU with no skills or experience (that you have mentioned) can make a better game then some of the most talented and experienced people in the industry (with a big budget to back them up)? It just shows arrogance on your part and a removal from reality. That is what I wished to convey to you, but you seem to have missed that point.

[/quote]

Yes, because everyone knows that all MMORPG games are developed in teams of 2-3 people... I am SURE you will be in beta by Christmas (/end sarcasm).

[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310841854' post='4836086']
[quote name='Mayple' timestamp='1310841480' post='4836083']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.cppgameprogramming.com/cgi/nav.cgi?page=intro"]http://www.cppgamepr....cgi?page=intro[/url]

Square one.

-Mayple
[/quote]

Thanks, but we aren't trying to make a text-based game. World of Warcraft has graphics and effects that you can actually see, like this:

[attachment=4208:wow.jpg]
[/quote]

Oh? You mean you want to make a game with graphics?! well why didn't you say so! That is SUPER easy. Pfft we thought you were trying to make a TEXT game. Sorry, our mistake... Just download the makemyawesomegameformeforfreeprogram . You push a button and your game is done. No seriously... you have to learn the basics of programming before you can tackle graphics....

Take a look at [url="http://www.planeshift.it/"]PlaneShift[/url]. It's an open source mmo. It's smaller than WoW but still there's over 400 000 lines of code, and it's 11 years in the making with about 150 programmers working in their spare time.

If you want to make game, you need to start with something simple, especially if you plan on getting it done before the end of the summer.

[quote name='fluffybeast' timestamp='1310843838' post='4836101']
Take a look at [url="http://www.planeshift.it/"]PlaneShift[/url]. It's an open source mmo. It's smaller than WoW but still there's over 400 000 lines of code, and it's 11 years in the making with about 150 programmers working in their spare time.

If you want to make game, you need to start with something simple, especially if you plan on getting it done before the end of the summer.
[/quote]

I'm not sure you understand what it is we want to do. We don't want to work on it part time, we are going to be doing this full on every day for the rest of summer. Obviously with that many people working for 11 years, they aren't getting a lot done if it is smaller than WoW. We aren't looking for programming either, that isn't how we want to go about writing our game, because none of it is going to be text except for people talking, and we will probably just implement microphones for that, or put text bubbles above peoples heads or something, but the text would still then be an incredibly small part of it, if it is there at all. Commands won't be given in text, it will be point and click, meaning if you are at a door you can just click it to open it rather than typing "/open door" or something. We are looking to advance game design and technology further, not just do what everyone else does. :wink:

[quote name='shadowisadog' timestamp='1310843636' post='4836099']
Oh? You mean you want to make a game with graphics?! well why didn't you say so! That is SUPER easy. Pfft we thought you were trying to make a TEXT game. Sorry, our mistake... Just download the makemyawesomegameformeforfreeprogram . You push a button and your game is done. No seriously... you have to learn the basics of programming before you can tackle graphics....
[/quote]

Lol, but we don't want to use a program that restricts us to whatever it wants to, I heard of this engine on time that deliberately makes all the games made with it the same, I don't know why. We need a flexible, powerful set of tools to help our development, and then a push in the right direction from there, that is all. No need to be so mean..:P

[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310844355' post='4836103']

[/quote]

I'm not sure you understand what it is we want to do. We don't want to work on it part time, we are going to be doing this full on every day for the rest of summer. Obviously with that many people working for 11 years, they aren't getting a lot done if it is smaller than WoW. We aren't looking for programming either, that isn't how we want to go about writing our game, because none of it is going to be text except for people talking, and we will probably just implement microphones for that, or put text bubbles above peoples heads or something, but the text would still then be an incredibly small part of it, if it is there at all. Commands won't be given in text, it will be point and click, meaning if you are at a door you can just click it to open it rather than typing "/open door" or something. We are looking to advance game design and technology further, not just do what everyone else does. :wink:
[/quote]

You are either an obvious troll or 8. I haven't decided yet, but you should probably ask your parents permission before posting on the forums anyway, they might have special restrictions... like not actually posting.... that is text based... don't worry you can still use microphones though.... we just won't listen.

You not only don't seem to understand that programming is an important part of making a working game, but you also seem completely ignorant about the amount of work anything takes to do. The level of arrogance you show by claiming that you are going to out perform over 150 people working part time WITHOUT programming (in just the summer) is outstanding and is the reason I (and potentially others) are going to be hostile towards you.

[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310844594' post='4836106']
[quote name='shadowisadog' timestamp='1310843636' post='4836099']
[/quote]

Lol, but we don't want to use a program that restricts us to whatever it wants to, I heard of this engine on time that deliberately makes all the games made with it the same, I don't know why. We need a flexible, powerful set of tools to help our development, and then a push in the right direction from there, that is all. No need to be so mean..:P
[/quote]

lol good luck, you are far beyond my abilities to help you.

[quote name='shadowisadog' timestamp='1310844629' post='4836107']

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are either an obvious troll or 8. I haven't decided yet, but you should probably ask your parents permission before posting on the forums anyway, they might have special restrictions... like not actually posting.... that is text based... don't worry you can still use microphones though.... we just won't listen.
[/quote]

What is your problem? You haven't said one helpful thing, and keep making fun of me. Why do you have to be so mean, seriously? Are you just jealous or something that you don't have any good ideas for games or the willpower to actually do them? This is something we have worked very hard on in designing, and we just want to actually make them real now, and you can't even give us anything besides nasty word. What have you designed? Nothing. Please stop.

[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310844935' post='4836109']
[quote name='shadowisadog' timestamp='1310844629' post='4836107']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What is your problem? You haven't said one helpful thing, and keep making fun of me. Why do you have to be so mean, seriously? Are you just jealous or something that you don't have any good ideas for games or the willpower to actually do them? This is something we have worked very hard on in designing, and we just want to actually make them real now, and you can't even give us anything besides nasty word. What have you designed? Nothing. Please stop.
[/quote]

*sigh* your right :( . The truth is I AM jealous of you. I apologize for being so mean... I just simply wish I had the motivation that YOU do for making such an awesome game. I will refrain from posting in your threads in the future since I am so "mean" and unhelpful.

lol yeah right :D.

P.S.: I am really enjoying the lack of negative ratings right now, it makes things a lot more "open" don't you think? ;) .

6. Now google the amount of time that WoW took to develop and the amount of money that WoW costs to operate.
7. Determine if you have said experience and amount of money.
[/quote]

Realisticly (sp?) if you were to try and remake WoW today it would cost many times more than they spent back in the day. It is reputed that SWOTR will be costing around $500 mill or so and this is with a bought in engine rather than one that has to be developed inhouse. Obviously an indie could build a very small, and very rough alpha stage mmo for a far far smaller sum of cash. But it would be nothing like WoW in any way.

[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310839065' post='4836061']
My friend and I have been playing a game called World of Warcraft for a couple months, and it has inspired us to make a game like it. We have a lot of ideas that we think would be a great improvement over the standard WoW game, and so we think that it is a good idea to just make one ourselves. We know it probably won't be as popular as WoW, even though it has better content, but we think we could probably get a few thousand players if we make it cheaper than WoW? Like, just charging a person for the game once and not a monthly fee. We don't have much to do this summer, and are looking to get a lot of it done so we can show the beta version to our friends when school starts again. So how do we go about this? Thanks!
[/quote]

I'm assuming you can program in at least one fairly modern language? if you can't then the only way this game will ever stand a chance of being built is if you have a large amount of cash to pay others to do the work. If you cannot code then you would likely be best to spend you summer learning one language such as C#/C++/Python by reading books, looking for some video tutorials such as these [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston#g/p"]http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston#g/p[/url] or looking for some summer classes somewhere.

Ecofina: Your ideas are utterly unrealistic, and you would be well served to [i]listen[/i] to what people are trying to tell you instead of assuming they're just being mean-spirited. Also, read [url="http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/"]this[/url].

Everyone else: remember that the rules of FB are that you shouldn't be excessively harsh on people. I won't issue any particular warnings this time around, but consider yourselves sternly scolded. Play nice.

Thread closed, as there's no chance in hell anything good will come of it.

This topic is 2343 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.