How to make a game like World of Warcraft?

Started by
22 comments, last by ApochPiQ 12 years, 9 months ago
My friend and I have been playing a game called World of Warcraft for a couple months, and it has inspired us to make a game like it. We have a lot of ideas that we think would be a great improvement over the standard WoW game, and so we think that it is a good idea to just make one ourselves. We know it probably won't be as popular as WoW, even though it has better content, but we think we could probably get a few thousand players if we make it cheaper than WoW? Like, just charging a person for the game once and not a monthly fee. We don't have much to do this summer, and are looking to get a lot of it done so we can show the beta version to our friends when school starts again. So how do we go about this? Thanks!
Advertisement
Please help we really want to do this!
The first thing you will need is a degree in computer science from a good university. Without that, you will not succeed.

World of Warcraft is so complicated that it required more than one person with a degree.

Hello! For your first step towards learning about how to make a game like WoW you are going to do the following:

1. Open World of Warcraft
2. Locate the credits (it might be under options).
3. Sit there and actually read how many names are on the screen.
4. Take a second and google key people such as the lead programmer, art director, ect.
5. Locate their Resume's and relevant experience.
6. Now google the amount of time that WoW took to develop and the amount of money that WoW costs to operate.
7. Determine if you have said experience and amount of money.
8. If the answer is no, does that begin to answer your question? If no, go back to step 1. If yes then continue.
9. Start with pong.

[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310839778' post='4836071']

3. Sit there and actually read how many names are on the screen.
[/quote]

I know that World of Warcraft has a lot of people working on it, but like I said, our game isn't going to be as big as WoW, just better features and gameplay, and as far as the money for making this game goes, isn't a lot of it for servers and stuff like that? Again, we only expect a few thousand people, so we could probably get a really small server for a lot cheaper, and even run it on our computers in its early stages (alpha, beta, etc.). :cool:
Oh and we also wouldn't need people to work on the servers, so that is a lot less too. As for art, I know a couple artists, and if we really need to, we can probably get another friend to help us with this game.
Can a mod just lock this thread? Flame fest incoming.

Software Engineer | Credited Titles: League of Legends, Hearthstone

Oh and we also wouldn't need people to work on the servers, so that is a lot less too. As for art, I know a couple artists, and if we really need to, we can probably get another friend to help us with this game.

http://www.cppgameprogramming.com/cgi/nav.cgi?page=intro

Square one.

-Mayple
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

[quote name='Ecofina' timestamp='1310841273' post='4836080']

http://www.cppgamepr....cgi?page=intro

Square one.

-Mayple
[/quote]

Thanks, but we aren't trying to make a text-based game. World of Warcraft has graphics and effects that you can actually see, like this:

[attachment=4208:wow.jpg]
Basically, what kind of software can I use to implement the features and graphics?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement