Where to start

Started by
12 comments, last by Ben Apuna 12 years, 9 months ago
Hello, i have never used this forum or website before, and i haven't found any topics about this, but i need help on how to enter the door way of game development. I am 18 if it helps.

What is the best way to get into the game development field? I know BASIC (i read 90% of a book on basic C++) C++ programming. I like more of the artistic side tho. I have UDK, Autodesk Mudbox, Autodesk Maya, and Autodesk 3ds max. I also have Google Sketchup (and am pretty good at it...if i may say so myself). I have only made 2 sculptures in Mudbox, both are busts (just trying to learn how to use it right now). I could attach those if needed.

Would it be best for me to try to create a small game myself? or try to assemble a dev. team to make one? I just have no clue.

If any other information is needed to help answer my question, please ask!

thanks!!
Advertisement
For you I would recommend choosing a tool and sticking with it. UDK is a good way to go. If you don't have an interest in programmingUDK will suit you well as it is really a tool to empower artists. Choose a discipline and take it as far as you can.
[size="1"]Associate Software Engineer
Riot Games | [size="1"]League of Legends

For you I would recommend choosing a tool and sticking with it. UDK is a good way to go. If you don't have an interest in programmingUDK will suit you well as it is really a tool to empower artists. Choose a discipline and take it as far as you can.

With UDK I need to create meshes to add into my world, thats why I have Mudbox. But as far as actualy creating a game, what would the best path on doing this?

[quote name='unyielding' timestamp='1310850775' post='4836144']

With UDK I need to create meshes to add into my world, thats why I have Mudbox. But as far as actualy creating a game, what would the best path on doing this?
[/quote]

UDK will allow you to make games as well, it is a full game development suite. I have a good friend that runs one of the best UDK tutorial sites on the net, check it out :) http://forecourse.com/unreal-tutorials/
[size="1"]Associate Software Engineer
Riot Games | [size="1"]League of Legends
1. i haven't found any topics about this
2. i need help on how to enter the door way of game development. I am 18 if it helps.
What is the best way to get into the game development field?

1. You must not have looked very hard, then.
2. Do you mean as a job, or as an amateur game programmer on the side while you earn money in some other field? If the latter, or if you want to start to learn programming now, read this forum's FAQs (link is above). If you mean the former, go to the Breaking In forum and read that forum's FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you for the link.

Not really as a job, but some way to get my feet wet so I can learn, as well as gain experience so i can get a job later.

1. Thank you for the link.
2. Not really as a job,
3. but ... so i can get a job later.

1. You're welcome.
2. Then you don't need to get a Computer Science degree,
3. but you should get a Computer Science degree.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I would say if you really want to get start just choice the thing that interest you the most and learn it. if it is graphics then make it your goal to create a amazing looking model for example. by time you reach that level in 3d modeling you should feel confident in make all types of 3d models hopefully. Not only that but as you work you way to your goal you will build up a portfolio of all you amazing work as you go along. Of course you goal can be far more ambitious then mine but remember that if them is what you want them you must have determination do accomplish it. If you have determination and ambition then you will soon see all the things you want come to you, Why? because you made them come to you.

2) start making connects with people that also have this interest just like you, not only can you learn some nifty secrets from them but connections go a long way in business

[font="Calibri"]*** edited out my awesomeness poetic momment :P***[/font]
I think you should first decide where your passion lies..Is it the programming or the art development aspect..

If it is the programming aspect,then you first need to ask yourself am I really prepared to do some hard work and spend time..If you are prepared to go for programming then get ur C++ skills up to date..since u have already covered 90% of the stuff that shouldn't be hard to do...Then u need to choose an API..if u want to go for DirectX then I would suggest u go for Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10 By Frank D. Luna..it is a very good beginner book talking about most of the general stuff u need to know in a very understandable manner..

As for openGL I would suggest the OpenGL Super Bible..
Thank you all for your input, it was very helpful!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement