Complete Game - Mountain Pod Racing

Started by
3 comments, last by wickedBean 12 years, 9 months ago
I've just finished the first version of a game I've been working on for the last few months. Hopefully you guys can give me some feedback.

screen3.png
screen1.png

Download Mountain Pod Racing (Less than 3MB download)

It's all my own work, including the graphics and physics engines. In runs on Windows through OpenGL. I'll make the source code avaiable soon.

The game is inspired by the ninja ropes in Worms. I always loved using the ninja ropes in that game and wanted to try and develop the concept further. The aim of the game is basically to find all the targets in the level in the quickest time possible using your trusty mountain rope.

Features a complete level campaign with tutorial and progressively more challenging environments.

All feedback welcome.

I hope you enjoy it!
Advertisement
Moving to Your Announcements.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Cool stuff! I was actually making a game very similar to yours, however with 2D graphics.
I generally felt that the rope pulls up way too fast (atleast, on my computer) and is too elastic making it quite hard to predict where the ball is going to fall.
Maybe make the rope a bit more stiff llke in Worms?

Apart from that great work! I generally liked the graphics (even though you're a programmer!?) and admire your particle effects. I couldn't really play other levels as for me it was too difficult due to the problems above. Keep in mind that it may has something to do with different processer speeds. Others may not have this problem I'm experiencing.
Ironbane MMO.
[size=1]It's so cool I don't even need to give you a link for it.
I have to agree with Nikke. The concept of the game is great. The art style is great. I have also always liked to fool around with Worms ninja ropes.

The game needs some work. The gameplay is clumsy. I think it would be better if the rope just disappears if you miss your target. Now it just keeps falling to the ground and I often get stuck, because I forget to press other mouse button. The top speed of the player should be reduced. I think the camera should be a bit more away to better see the map.

Keep up the good work ;)
Thanks for the feedback guys.

AntonioR, I know exactly what you mean about the gameplay feeling clumsy. I've seen my friends play the game for the first time, and they do struggle with the controls. The thing is, when you get the hang of the controls the dynamics really allow you to fly around the level at high speeds (like in the Demo mode in the game), and I find that really fun. I'm not sure how to make the controls more managable for beginners without losing that sense of freedom I have in the game now that I'm used to playing it. I think it would be a shame if that was lost from the game, but then at the same time, if people don't play it long enough to get to that level of comfort with the controls then it's irelevant.

Nikke, the game speed should be locked. When you play the game does the timer in the top right run at roughly one second per second (i.e. real time)? If it does then I think then I think the physics have to be running at the intended speed. I guess if it feels too fast then I guess that's part of the same problem of dynamics being awkward.

I'll have to put some thought in to how to make it more accessible without reducing the speed the game plays at once you do get the hang of the controls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement