Sign in to follow this  
wood_brian

Computing platforms with at least one C++ compiler

I have a < 200 line C++ program that currently runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OSX. In order to make the on line code generator I've been working on more widely available, I'd like to port that program to run on more platforms. I'm not too up on mobile platforms or scientific platforms. For example, are all scientific platforms UNIX-like? I'm interested in suggestions of platforms to port to. Tia.

What's a 'scientific platform'? All manner of species are used; x86, cray, PS3, teeny tiny ARM devices, ...

Your best bet is to stick to the C++ standard as closely as you can and stay away from some of the more esoteric parts. Without being able to test on those machines, that's the best you can do. You might want to look in to the GNU autotools too (though I personally despise them) for broad UNIX compatibility.

The term may be vague, but think it is useful/helpful. What I may do is narrow it down to one platform to add and then buy (a used) one.

solaris studio (formerly sun studio) is another compiler that seems to run on linux, if you just want to go the 'try on other compilers' route.
I think solaris 11 express is free for the intel architecture if you want to go the 'another os' route.
solaris 11 express / solaris studio also runs on sparc hardware, which you can usually find for a good price.

Don't take my word for everything here, as I just got back into solaris a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to install the compiler yet.

If you generate reasonably standard C++, you can use gcc as a first choice on any platform that matters. For a second opinion on certain platforms there are the Intel and Microsoft compilers and Clang.

I'll think more about Solaris. Thanks for the tips.
I just bought a used big-endian Apple and have booted it. I guess it has OSX 10.5 on it. It doesn't have gcc on it and am trying to figure out what commands to use to download that. Ssh isn't running on it either. How to start it?

Ssh server can be enabled in Sharing settings.
gcc for OSX comes with XCode installation - just install XCode, and you will have gcc. Older versions of XCode came together with OSX installation CD (dvd?). Newer can be downloaded online from Apple Developer page (but they won't work on older Mac's).