SDL or Allegro

Started by
6 comments, last by DevTony 12 years, 9 months ago
Hey Im currently Learning C++ and im Wondering what library would best suit me. SDL or Allegro?, I have searched through the forums but can only find mixed views and suggestions for different situations to mine.
So yeah I know some of the basics of C++ and I am aiming to build up to create 2-D Platform Games with horizontal scrolling, object collision etc. I want to know which is easier to learn?, which of the two is a better gateway onto more advanced stuff. Which is easiest to set-up in Visual C++ 2010 and any other information that may help with my choice.

Thank You in Advance :)
Advertisement
SFML is better than both of them. I would suggest looking at it.

sfml-dev.org

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

DirectX hands down beats everything (in my opinion, but other people have different views).

DirectX hands down beats everything (in my opinion, but other people have different views).

I'm one that has a different view. Have you tried SFML? I've used DX, SDL, and SFML, and I still say SFML is the best by a pretty wide margin.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

For a 2D game, this advice is almost the definition of bad.

Either of the libraries ( plus SFML ) are all equally valid choices.

Hey Im currently Learning C++ and im Wondering what library would best suit me. SDL or Allegro?, I have searched through the forums but can only find mixed views and suggestions for different situations to mine.
So yeah I know some of the basics of C++ and I am aiming to build up to create 2-D Platform Games with horizontal scrolling, object collision etc. I want to know which is easier to learn?, which of the two is a better gateway onto more advanced stuff. Which is easiest to set-up in Visual C++ 2010 and any other information that may help with my choice.

Thank You in Advance :)

Both Allegro and SDL are fairly easy to learn, Allegro tends to have more canned functions (like quaternion rotations and a built in asset archive/ file system format etc) where SDL gives you access (greatly abstracted) and leaves it up to the programmer to implement the extras like the previously mentioned asset archive. That said I haven't used the 5.x version of Allegro. Setup is just a matter of pointing MSVC at the proper folders for the header files and libraries and then adding those libraries to Additonal Dependencies for the linker.
Patrick
I personally like Allegro 5. It has a lot of built-in capabilities that SDL and SFML don't have, such as searching directories. The documentation online is also very easy to follow and find what you need.

That said, though, I haven't tried SDL, only Allegro and SFML.
Heyy Thanks for all the replies, I dont think im gonna try direct x as im only beginning but im leaning towards allegro or SFML so ill check them out
Thank You :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement