Good C# Books?

Started by
7 comments, last by melloorr 12 years, 9 months ago
Can anyone help, i'm looking for a C# book that is suitable for complete beginners. I tried Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform as another member has suggested to me, but i am finding it really confusing and (in my opinion) too much information for a beginner to take in. Any help will be great. (even if it just telling me to stick with that book)

Thank you
Advertisement
I learned C# from here : http://www.csharp-st...m/Tutorial.aspx. I'm not quite sure how good it is for complete beginners, as already knew Java and C++ before I learned C#. It's free though, so your not really taking a risk.

Also, that book looks a bit advance for you, so it's okay for you to find it confusing.
So if i just stick at it, and then maybe go over the book again once i have finished it, then that should be okay?
I would learn from a simple/easier tutorial. After that go back to that book as it looks like it will teach you a lot, you just need some experience though, as the book's description says [font="Arial"]"[/font][font="Arial"]do understand that it's targeted at experienced software professionals and/or graduate students of computer science". So it sounds like you should at least have a basic idea of how to program before trying to read that book.[/font]
I'm going to shill again and such Safari Books Online. It is all I used anymore and I used to spend 600 or 700$ a year on books. So, if you are considering paying full MSRP for book, consider trying Safari. IF you can't read on a screen or don't have an iPad, this may not be the service for you, but if you are just starting out, having the ability to search ( and search within ) 10000+ books is a huge boon.

As to actually answering your question, I almost always go with the book from the language creator, in this case The C# Programming Language ( Covering 4th ) by Anders Hejlsberg, which coincidentally is on Safari. ;)
@beatlefan I tried that website, but I got up to the second example, which didnt work, then i realised that it was last updated in 2009, so it wasn't for C# 4.0 so i looked for another website and i found this: C# Key: C# 4.0 Programming which looks decent right?

@Serapth I can't afford that just yet, but after I have tried this tutorial, I might buy membership and try it out. It does look great though.

@beatlefan I tried that website, but I got up to the second example, which didnt work, then i realised that it was last updated in 2009, so it wasn't for C# 4.0 so i looked for another website and i found this: C# Key: C# 4.0 Programming which looks decent right?

Sorry, I didn't know that it was out of date. Yeah, that other one looks fine.

@Serapth I can't afford that just yet, but after I have tried this tutorial, I might buy membership and try it out. It does look great though.

I'm pretty sure there is a free trial, it will at least give you an idea what books you are interested in.
Now i have another problem, I have found a free eBook online: http://www.robmiles.com/c-yellow-book/ which looks promising, but i don't know whether to use it for learning C# or carry on with the online tutorials/lessons: C# Key: C# 4.0 Programming (I am only on Lesson 3). Your opinions?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement