Sign in to follow this  
heartcore

Best approach on creating a farm game?

Hi all,

I want to create a farm game just for the experience in creating it. I am reading through volumes of information on the internet about the [b]art[/b] of creating games and I am really overwhelmed, and now that I want to get down and start creating I could really use some advice.

I want to create a farm game with isometric graphics implementing some advanced game features like having a set of series of actions to implement a task.
I think the best way to approach this is by using actionscript and flash or using something like game maker.

I don't have the necessary time as this is mostly a DIY learning experience, however I am spending many hours daily already.

Right now I have started doing sketches and some basic designs. I am familiar with some of the theory behind game design but I could really use suggestions and pointers on what to use (game maker, As3isolib ?) books articles etc... All I want is to get started on the right track, I expect to make many mistakes but I can't afford lets say to lose a whole month of work because I neglected something.

Many thanks

You *will* absolutely lose months and years of work as you become familiar and more competent at doing this stuff. Sorry. That's kinda the cost of iterating and learning.

It's certainly possible to make flash games, and many people have done it. I don't know if it's the "best" way, unless you can describe what would make it the "best" for you.

My advice is certainly to continue studying, but don't delay get started actually doing work. The sooner you start the sooner you can start iterating, learning, and getting better. And by iterating I mean throwing lots of stuff away to re-do it better.