Profits vs Time Investment in Game Dev

Started by
20 comments, last by Madhed 12 years, 3 months ago
I wanted to create a topic that's directly to the point. Making a game to sell for $1.00 - $5.00 appears to be a very sad reality in today's game market. I've been programming for over ten years as a hobbyist, and I'm not sure if this is even worth pursuing anymore. I wouldn't mind selling a few games, however it appears people have low balled the value of games, thus killing the money potential for all developers.

I'm looking for responses from people who've successfully sold their own games. I'm finding it extremely hard to believe the time investment is worth the $40.00 I can make from 40 sales before a better game hits the spot light. I'm also looking for people who've branded themselves first, not people making money off some ads or sponsorship to share their experiences.

I just find it really sad how anyone can expect to work months or even years on a project, to receive $2.00 for a good quality, fun and unique game.

Any other developers find this a sad truth, and very depressing?
Advertisement
I don't have any answers for you, but I know exactly where you're coming from. I've had this same thought haunt me for a while now. I'll definitely keep my eyes open for any replies.
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.

I wanted to create a topic that's directly to the point. Making a game to sell for $1.00 - $5.00 appears to be a very sad reality in today's game market. I've been programming for over ten years as a hobbyist, and I'm not sure if this is even worth pursuing anymore. I wouldn't mind selling a few games, however it appears people have low balled the value of games, thus killing the money potential for all developers.

I'm looking for responses from people who've successfully sold their own games. I'm finding it extremely hard to believe the time investment is worth the $40.00 I can make from 40 sales before a better game hits the spot light. I'm also looking for people who've branded themselves first, not people making money off some ads or sponsorship to share their experiences.

I just find it really sad how anyone can expect to work months or even years on a project, to receive $2.00 for a good quality, fun and unique game.

Any other developers find this a sad truth, and very depressing?

The trick is to not work more than 1-2 months on such a cheap game and then to sell far more than 40 copies, once you get a reasonably successful game you have to milk it for all its worth, make sequels using the same engine and art (just make new levels, possibly add a few minor features), if a game isn't successful enough to be milked you can and should still reuse as much of the code as possible for other games to reduce their production costs, make free to play web(flash/unity/java/whatever works on your primary target platform + atleast one large web game portal) versions that is supported by ads to get extra revenue and promote the mobile versions, living in a country with low living costs helps alot aswell. (You'll be competing with well educated and skilled people who consider $1500 per month or sometimes even less to be a great salary)

If you are targeting the PC market then you can sell the games for far more than $5 (PC indie titles tend to sell for $10-$25 quite frequently but mobile quality games won't do that well on this platform so development costs are higher aswell).

Basically it all boils down to keeping your costs down and your quality up, your first game probably won't be profitable but if you're smart and reuse large parts of the work your 2nd, 3rd, etc games can be made at a much lower cost and still be of a higher quality.

You should however forget about becoming rich by making games, simply making a living or keeping a company alive in this field can be considered a success.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
If you want to get rich, do something else.

If you want to make games, who cares if you make money off of it?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Selling games is a business.
If a company can sell a game for $1/copy and make a profit, then they will. If they can't make a profit that way, they wont.

I just find it really sad how anyone can expect to work months or even years on a project, to receive $2.00 for a good quality, fun and unique game.[/quote]Who is expecting this? You sound as if this is a reality that's been forced upon you, like you're in a sweat-shop, churning out games year after year and only being given a dollar for your efforts.

Plenty of indie games sell for much more than $1.
If your game is worth $1 then sell it for $1, if it's worth $20, sell it for $20... Honestly, if something has taken years of development time, I'd expect it to sell for more than $1, unless it's so brilliantly great that you expect to sell 100 million copies anyway.
Not sure where all the "rich" talk comes from. Making $20,000 a year on games is not getting rich.

The amount of hard work put into programming, art, music, and design is worth something is it not? Just because I love my day job doesn't mean I would go there for $5 an hour.

People who're business minded should be able to relate. The eBay mentality of selling games for next to nothing, has hurt all developers. Why shouldn't we get paid for our hard work? But then again, if you would go to your day job for next to nothing because you enjoy it, I hope you can still pay your bills. :)

I'm not asking game programmers who just make games only to release to boast about their accomplishments, and gain status. I'm asking business minded people. If everything in life was low balled, the wages for the people producing the low balled products would never increase, and we would all be living off crackers and water.

If you want to get rich, do something else.

If you want to make games, who cares if you make money off of it?

Making money is essential if you wish to make games full time though, I think quite many of us here would love to be able to quit our ordinary jobs and just make games. (To do so you need to generate enough revenue to cover your living costs plus a buffert to survive a unsuccessful release)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I hear ya.

I actually gave up with games and programming in general...now I'm pursuing a bachelors of pharmacy. :cool:
[size="5"]http://innercirclegames.freeforums.org
Email me at: innercirclegames@hotmail.com
Yes, it's risky to be indie. No, not everyone that wants to make money will do so. Yes, some people have made *tons* of money selling games for $1. That's life.

If you want "security", join up with a team that already has oodles of money and can afford to pay their employees for several years out. That said, realize that they too may shut their doors at any moment, even though they sell their games for $60. And be passionate about your work - everyone hates the people on the team that aren't engaged and are just their to do their hours and collect their paycheck.

The amount of hard work put into programming, art, music, and design is worth something is it not?

It's only worth something if someone is willing to pay for it. And if your competitors can offer something similar cheaper, it can make it less valuable, Also depends on how good you are versus your peers versus the rest of the industry. Just because you call it "hard work" doesn't mean it's valuable to someone else - it's possible you're not very good compared to your peers or the rest of the industry. Unfortunately it seems the worse you are, the harder it is to realize it yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement