Sign in to follow this  
Rodimus

Unity Unity scale and units

Rodimus    131
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"]
I just recently watched this video on Youtube:[/size][/font]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LyNj04am8A[/media]

The specific content of the video that I am referring to is the part where he talks about scale and units in Unity and how it is important to use the correct scale on things in your game, according to how Unity expects it to be.

So I figured I should looking into this myself before I get far into the development of a project and have to resize whole scenes. In the video he says something along the lines of, "1 unit in Unity is 1 meter". So what I did is that I created a terrain and added a grid texture to it, with a size of 1x1 unit for each cell. Now, according to this video, each of these cells are now 1x1 meter. However, this felt really dodgy in the editor and here's a few reasons:

[list=1][*]This resulted in that I had to zoom in a lot more that I am used to, making the movement speed of the camera (editor camera, not game cameras) really fast and very hard to control. Even the slightest push of a button would move it 2-3 meters.[*]Default objects such as the plane appeared to be huge by default, 10x10 meters to be specific. This was at a default scale of 1 on the plane.[*]The default skin width of the character controller was way to thick for this scale, resulting in characters hovering in the air without actually touching the ground. I had to turn down skin width to minimum (0.0001).[/list]
I was hoping that someone here could maybe shed some light on the subject and explain to me what scale to actually use in Unity.

EDIT2: Another question I hope I can get answered as well. Say I have a box that is 1x1 meters, what dimensions should the texture have (Let's say the texture is copied to all sides)?

EDIT: Just fixed the list with proper formatting.