Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyDivitto

Learning directX

Hey everyone, i have been trying to learn DirectX11 for a few weeks now and honestly i don't think i have learned much of anything... so my question is, how did you learn DirectX and what do you think is the best way? Any info would be great becuase i'm really having a rough time with this.

[quote name='EpicViTTo23' timestamp='1311036801' post='4837122']
Hey everyone, i have been trying to learn DirectX11 for a few weeks now and honestly i don't think i have learned much of anything... so my question is, how did you learn DirectX and what do you think is the best way? Any info would be great becuase i'm really having a rough time with this.
[/quote]

I would definitely recommend picking up a book if you haven't yet.

I learned DirectX from working my way through Frank Luna's book, "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach", which I thought was a very good book. Just recently I began working my way through the tutorials on rastertek.com to teach myself DirectX11. Luna does have a DirectX10 book, which from what I understand is very similar to DirectX11 so that might be a good bet.

There are also loads of examples that come with the DirectX SDK but if you've never done graphics programming before you'd probably have an easier time learning from a book.

thank you for your response, i have tried books but not that one so i will deffinatly look into it and your right the tutorials in the sdk arent very good for a complete newbie to graphics

how similar is 10 to 11? is it close enough i could learn the basics and be ok? is it any easier to learn 10 rather than 11 first?

thx!

[quote name='EpicViTTo23' timestamp='1311051667' post='4837210']
thank you for your response, i have tried books but not that one so i will deffinatly look into it and your right the tutorials in the sdk arent very good for a complete newbie to graphics

how similar is 10 to 11? is it close enough i could learn the basics and be ok? is it any easier to learn 10 rather than 11 first?

thx!
[/quote]

From what I understand DX10 and DX11 are very similar, although I skipped DX10 so I can't say for sure. I don't think one is really easier than the other, just new features and some different syntax.

Check out that rastertek site. He does a pretty good job of explaining everything and has source code for you to download. Step through all of the code and make sure you understand what is going on. If there is a particular function call or argument you don't understand look it up on msdn. If you can work your way through those first 4 tutorials on his site you will be well on your way.

Feel free to PM me if you get stuck, I know how overwhelming this stuff can be at first.