Which is the Best First language to start programming and programming games?

Started by
10 comments, last by MasterMas 12 years, 9 months ago
I read a little about python and i got one book from c# and some videotutorials. But i want to know if C# is the best first language or is there another better.
Advertisement

I read a little about python and i got one book from c# and some videotutorials. But i want to know if C# is the best first language or is there another better.

For learning, especially when the endgoal is to make games, I don't think you can really beat python or C#.

Here's a wiki here that goes over a lot of this : http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/How_do_I_get_Started#Choosing_a_programming_language

What it really boils down to is what do you want to get out of your language in the end. C# is similar to C and C++ and if you want to bridge it'd most likely be the best choice.

Python decreases development time because it's a scripting language and once you learn it there's a good chance you'll just stick with it. From what I understand it's easy to use.

For learning, especially when the endgoal is to make games, I don't think you can really beat python or C#.

I do XD Go Java!

But if you have a C# book, I don't see a reason to pick any other language to start with. Unless you're not a Windows user.

[quote name='arbitus' timestamp='1311040308' post='4837132']

I do XD Go Java!

But if you have a C# book, I don't see a reason to pick any other language to start with. Unless you're not a Windows user.
[/quote]

xD OK then i will learn C#, i didn't picked C# because i wanted to know your opinions.
I asked because i didnt know which one was better, or if i should learn c c++ or java ruby or Lua for my first language

Thanks for the opinion! I'll learn c#

If someone got some tips or tutorials for making games in XNA would be very grateful
I would suggest just learning the language first. Follow your book and see if you can pick up some simple exercises on the net, or in additional books. It is going to take you a while to become comfortable enough with the base language before you start making games in XNA. However, the resources at the AppHub are top notch and will get you going quickly with XNA. Above all else, just be patient. Learning to program takes time. Learning to program well takes a lifetime.

If someone got some tips or tutorials for making games in XNA would be very grateful

It will probably take you a few months, of learning and practicing C#, until you can/should start to make some simple games XNA. So just keep that in mind, but once you do get to that stage, a great free resource is Riemers XNA Tutorials.
I would say either Python or Processing because both are simple to start in, but rather expressive. Processing is close enough to Java that when you are ready you can transition when you are ready. But, considering how much of the work in a 3D game is done by the GPU, you can render rather fancy graphics at high frame rates in almost any language. It's only fancy AI and physics that will tie up the CPU, and even now physics is being transitioned off the CPU through CUDA, PhysX, etc. If you're just learning programming, it's best to start with a simple language where you can learn all the basic concepts to programming.

Still, I find the question of 'what language to start with' a lot harder to answer than it used to be. 20 years ago, the answer was BASIC. 10 years ago, probably Visual BASIC. Today? I find it hard to say VB .NET is a good starting language.

[quote name='MirageUY' timestamp='1311041389' post='4837140']

It will probably take you a few months, of learning and practicing C#, until you can/should start to make some simple games XNA. So just keep that in mind, but once you do get to that stage, a great free resource is Riemers XNA Tutorials.
[/quote]

thanks I will do that

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]

I would say either Python or Processing because both are simple to start in, but rather expressive. Processing is close enough to Java that when you are ready you can transition when you are ready. But, considering how much of the work in a 3D game is done by the GPU, you can render rather fancy graphics at high frame rates in almost any language. It's only fancy AI and physics that will tie up the CPU, and even now physics is being transitioned off the CPU through CUDA, PhysX, etc. If you're just learning programming, it's best to start with a simple language where you can learn all the basic concepts to programming.

Still, I find the question of 'what language to start with' a lot harder to answer than it used to be. 20 years ago, the answer was BASIC. 10 years ago, probably Visual BASIC. Today? I find it hard to say VB .NET is a good starting language.

[/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]
[/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]Ok but i make my decision[/font][font="arial, sans-serif"][size="5"]. i learning c#[/font]
You have read a book on C#, so go for your life mate. The only thing that is holding you back is you. Just release yourself and lived to the end. C# is also like java which can be use for web apps. Python will kinda help. A good place to use python is C++. It's good to start off with C# and build yourself. Once a programmer, always, programmer

Sam (MasterMas)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement