Sign in to follow this  
TrieBr

Platform Physics in a fast paced online game?

TrieBr    100
I'm currently working on an online platforming game. I've been researching for a while on the best method to use for online movement . The game features PvP, so accuracy is essential for fair fighting.

I wanted to have physics simulated on the server to reduce hacking by having almost everything server sided So I looked at [url="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking"]Valve's networking[/url] which would work great, but I have my doubts if it would work with hopefully hundreds of players and mobs on the server being simulated.

Since my game is a 2D platformer, I decided to take a look at a Maplestory server emulator source code. After studying the code for a while, it looks as if no physics simulation is done on the server, which explains why there were so many hackers in Maplestory-- which I don't want on my game. However, Maplestory is able to handle many many players and mobs in all of the many maps with minimal lag, so it got me thinking that maybe physics simulation on the server is no the best way to go.

One thing I don't understand about how Maplestory works is how the monsters are handled. I couldn't find anything in the server that handles the movement of monsters, so it seems as if monsters are client-sided as well as the players. Having physics simulation was something I wanted so I could simulate mobs on the server (and again prevent hacking).

I know not everything can be perfect, and it's impossible to have perfect physics simulation with unlimited players, but Im looking for the best method for handing the online movement.

Right now it looks as if the best method is to do something like Maplestory is doing, and just find other ways of preventing hacking, but I'm looking for suggestions for improvements or ideas that I could use to implement into my networking engine.

Thanks in advance!

hplus0603    11347
[quote name='TrieBr' timestamp='1311046902' post='4837184']
I know not everything can be perfect, and it's impossible to have perfect physics simulation with unlimited players, but Im looking for the best method for handing the online movement.
[/quote]

To measure what's "best" you first have to figure out what your cost/benefit curves are against each major axis:
- server cost
- development complexity
- network traffic
- user lag
- consistency
- cheat prevention

Each solution has a different trade-off/profile along these axes, and you have to pick the one that works best for your particular needs.