What is the best game programming Language/SDK

Started by
34 comments, last by Telastyn 12 years, 8 months ago
I would like to know what really is the best language for programming games, and with what SDK. I my self have taken the time to learn DirectX and C++ but I was wondering what you guys think!
Advertisement
C# + Unity3d / xna / UDK (I THINK IT WORKS WITH C# ) can be a good choice
Also you can see this http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/How_do_I_get_Started#Choosing_a_programming_language
i hope i helped :D

I would like to know what really is the best language for programming games, and with what SDK. I my self have taken the time to learn DirectX and C++ but I was wondering what you guys think!

Thanks, im just trying to get other peoples opinions. I like DirectX and C++ alot, I just want to see what you guys think.
Theres no best, it depends on a multitude of things. Too many to list. Just use what you like and what you feel productive with.

Its like asking whats the best brand of car. Each has its strong and weak points, none are perfect.
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me
I'm really diggin C# and XNA. C# is more productive and easier than C++, yet it still pretty much has the same power as C++. Same for XNA, it makes things easier and still is close to DirectX 9 in terms of power.
As I've stated (numerous times now heh), I really like SFML for all my SDK needs, except Network (The networking module doesn't have as advanced support as I would like...so I use Raknet for my networking SDK). Since SFML sits on OpenGL and OpenAL, it provides a lot of features and uses all HW rendering for Audio and graphics, so performance is never an issue. Plus, it's constantly updated, and has a great forum where you can get support ASAP.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

DirectX and C++. Yes its harder than using some engine or XNA, but believe me its worth it.
I would say C++ and DirectX.

There's surely hundreds of reasons for and against, but I belive that C++ is faster than C# which is very important, especially in game programming smile.gif
Comparing Direct X to say, Unity, is like comparing Lego to a Ferrari.

Both are fun to play with, but are staggeringly different products.

Me, I would rather have a razor blade enema than work with C++ again, such a horrifically unproductive language. Actually, the same can pretty much be said of Direct X, but mostly because of its language of choice. Working with C# and XNA compared to C++ and DirectX is a vacation in paradise compared to a prison sentence.

Comparing Direct X to say, Unity, is like comparing Lego to a Ferrari.

Both are fun to play with, but are staggeringly different products.

Me, I would rather have a razor blade enema than work with C++ again, such a horrifically unproductive language. Actually, the same can pretty much be said of Direct X, but mostly because of its language of choice. Working with C# and XNA compared to C++ and DirectX is a vacation in paradise compared to a prison sentence.

I will second that. DX vs Unity is not a real comparison, comparing them is next to useless. Someone using DX and someone using Unity have 2 totally different intentions. Namely, the Unity user is concered with finishing a fairly complex game without digging into engine code. The DX user is interested in writing his/her own engine code (and also may want to finish a game, just not as quickly :) )

And yes C# is way closer to Java in syntax and general level of bad programming forgiveness. C++ just doesnt give a shit about you.
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement