Sign in to follow this  
BCBTP

What is the best game programming Language/SDK

BCBTP    100
I would like to know what really is the [u]best language for programming games, and with what SDK.[/u] I my self have taken the time to learn DirectX and C++ but I was wondering [u]what you guys think![/u]

MirageUY    110
C# + Unity3d / xna / UDK (I THINK IT WORKS WITH C# ) can be a good choice
Also you can see this [url="http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/How_do_I_get_Started#Choosing_a_programming_language"]http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/How_do_I_get_Started#Choosing_a_programming_language[/url]
i hope i helped :D

BCBTP    100
[quote name='BrianTheProg' timestamp='1311096637' post='4837499']
I would like to know what really is the [u]best language for programming games, and with what SDK.[/u] I my self have taken the time to learn DirectX and C++ but I was wondering [u]what you guys think![/u]
[/quote]

Thanks, im just trying to get other peoples opinions. I like DirectX and C++ alot, I just want to see what you guys think.

JosephParrilla    171
Theres no best, it depends on a multitude of things. Too many to list. Just use what you like and what you feel productive with.

Its like asking whats the best brand of car. Each has its strong and weak points, none are perfect.

beatlefan    198
I'm really diggin C# and XNA. C# is more productive and easier than C++, yet it still pretty much has the same power as C++. Same for XNA, it makes things easier and still is close to DirectX 9 in terms of power.

BeerNutts    4400
As I've stated (numerous times now heh), I really like SFML for all my SDK needs, except Network (The networking module doesn't have as advanced support as I would like...so I use Raknet for my networking SDK). Since SFML sits on OpenGL and OpenAL, it provides a lot of features and uses all HW rendering for Audio and graphics, so performance is never an issue. Plus, it's constantly updated, and has a great forum where you can get support ASAP.

falcon93    121
I would say C++ and DirectX.

There's surely hundreds of reasons for and against, but I belive that C++ is faster than C# which is very important, especially in game programming [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

Serapth    6671
Comparing Direct X to say, Unity, is like comparing Lego to a Ferrari.

Both are fun to play with, but are staggeringly different products.

Me, I would rather have a razor blade enema than work with C++ again, such a horrifically unproductive language. Actually, the same can pretty much be said of Direct X, but mostly because of its language of choice. Working with C# and XNA compared to C++ and DirectX is a vacation in paradise compared to a prison sentence.

JosephParrilla    171
[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1311112649' post='4837647']
Comparing Direct X to say, Unity, is like comparing Lego to a Ferrari.

Both are fun to play with, but are staggeringly different products.

Me, I would rather have a razor blade enema than work with C++ again, such a horrifically unproductive language. Actually, the same can pretty much be said of Direct X, but mostly because of its language of choice. Working with C# and XNA compared to C++ and DirectX is a vacation in paradise compared to a prison sentence.
[/quote]

I will second that. DX vs Unity is not a real comparison, comparing them is next to useless. Someone using DX and someone using Unity have 2 totally different intentions. Namely, the Unity user is concered with finishing a fairly complex game without digging into engine code. The DX user is interested in writing his/her own engine code (and also may want to finish a game, just not as quickly :) )

And yes C# is way closer to Java in syntax and general level of bad programming forgiveness. C++ just doesnt give a shit about you.

yoshinosan    102
I like to use C++ with OpenGL rather than DirectX.
Because my dig didn't work with DirectX11 due to a graphic card issue and I will also make games on Linux and mobile phones.
However DirectX9 is certainly a good liberally anyways.

mhagain    13430
The best is the one you're most productive with yourself.

Me, I like using MSVC for it's awesome debugging capabilities, I prefer the C-like subset of C++ over both C and full C++, I like C# a [i]lot[/i] but find it slightly awkward at times for the kind of code I enjoy writing, I prefer D3D to OpenGL on account of more robust and predictable drivers and driver behaviour (and no extensions - yayyy!) (and tools), and the existence of an SDK that I can download and install locally. But that's just me and it's purely personal (and I'm perfectly happy to swallow my pride and use something else, particularly when it involves an employer giving me money); others will have different opinions for reasons that are 100% valid for them and that's just fine too.

Tom Sloper    16040
[quote name='BrianTheProg' timestamp='1311099532' post='4837544']
[quote name='BrianTheProg' timestamp='1311096637' post='4837499']
[/quote]

Thanks, im just trying to get other peoples opinions. I like DirectX and C++ alot, I just want to see what you guys think.
[/quote]
Then a better name for the thread would have been something like "What's your favorite language/SDK" instead.

wildboar    320
For me personally the best language is C++ and for SDK's I would just use any library with a decent permissive license. Some of my libraries require payment upon a certain condition like the game earning more than a certain amount (RakNet network lib). Get the core of the engine first and then add the various SDK's as you see fit.

MasterMas    107
Depends on what the game is. If I was going to make a basic web game then java, or basic client game C# or C. With a MMO I would code in C++ and python. (I'm building one right now). Libraries I prefer with C++ to use direct X but with C# and Java OpenGL and so on

ryan20fun    2635
[quote name='joeparrilla' timestamp='1311113298' post='4837656']
And yes C# is way closer to Java in syntax and general level of bad programming forgiveness. C++ just doesnt give a shit about you.
[/quote]

i have never seen Java code, but i was playing around with c# and XNA before i decided to dive into C++ and DirectX
and i would say that C# uses C Syntax, because i quickly adjusted to C++, but it did take me some time to learn how C++ operates.
so by that statement and yours, i would conclude that Java uses C Style Syntax aswell.
just my 2 cents.

jaemonnz    104
i would suggest the UDK, not only does it support DX11 and C++ but it come's with everything you will ever need to make game's, and even high quality film's, and it's easy to use, there are tutorial's all over the web,

this is a small sample of what DX11 looks like in the UDK, enjoy [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM"]The Samaratin[/url]

__Homer__    58
Depends what you want to do, really. Programming language is not as relevant as it once was, however you will hit performance walls at some stage, and will have to identify and address the bottlenecks in your application. Usually, they can be greatly improved without resorting to a lower language just by tightening up the implementation of whatever algorithm.

Personally I find game engines a waste of my time, the learning curve is typically mountainous, and the functionality is generally broad in an attempt to be all things to all people - and so is (always, in my experience) missing vital functionality specific to your application that you feel at the time is so generic that you express genuine surprise (read shock, horror) at its absence.

All you really need is a RENDERING LAYER, and a suitable basic App Window framework suited to each target platform.
It's nice if you get a SCENEGRAPH with that, but you can roll your own the same day, and grow it to meet your evolving needs.
You're going to need some kind of STANDARD CONTAINER classes, STL being the obvious choice, again you CAN roll your own.

Most of this stuff will be available in pretty much any game engine you pick up.
The game logic (including AI code) is far too specific to your application, so you will be definitely writing that stuff yourself.

Basically, you ARE going to need a programmer, or to learn to program, just writing scripts on top of a game engine will provide you with a workable demo that runs like a wet dog.
So most of the appealing aspects of a game engine end up not being utilized, as they turn out to be the bottlenecks in more cases than I care to think about.

Dragonion    131
If you want to do it the really hardcore/heavy/I-will-have-long-hair-before-I-even-begin-working-on-my-first-title way (id Software, Blizzard, Valve etc.) I would recommend this:

Languages:
[list][*]C/C++ (combined with a basic understanding of x86/IA-32/64 assembly)[*]NVIDIA Cg[/list]
SDKs:
[list][*]Windows SDK 7.1[*]Direct3D (9.0c if you are planning to make your games XP compatible, 11 if you are only targeting new computers), and/or ...[*]OpenGL (4.1 (2010) is the newest standard and, of course, the further you go back the more computers will be able to run your programs)[*]NVIDIA SDKs (Cg 3.0, Graphics 11.0, CUDA Tookit 4.0 etc). What you need depends on your graphics cards requirements.[*]OpenAL and/or DirectX audio SDKs (DirectSound, XACT, XAudio2 (if you want to target XBox) etc.)[*]LZMA SDK or Zlib if you are planning on using data compression in your games (which you very likely will eventually).[/list]

Telastyn    3777
[quote name='Dragonion' timestamp='1312546628' post='4844971']
If you want to do it the really hardcore/heavy/I-will-have-long-hair-before-I-even-begin-working-on-my-first-title way (id Software, Blizzard, Valve etc.) I would recommend this:

Languages:
[list][*]C/C++ (combined with a basic understanding of x86/IA-32/64 assembly)[*]NVIDIA Cg[/list]
SDKs:
[list][*]Windows SDK 7.1[*]Direct3D (9.0c if you are planning to make your games XP compatible, 11 if you are only targeting new computers), and/or ...[*]OpenGL (4.1 (2010) is the newest standard and, of course, the further you go back the more computers will be able to run your programs)[*]NVIDIA SDKs (Cg 3.0, Graphics 11.0, CUDA Tookit 4.0 etc). What you need depends on your graphics cards requirements.[*]OpenAL and/or DirectX audio SDKs (DirectSound, XACT, XAudio2 (if you want to target XBox) etc.)[*]LZMA SDK or Zlib if you are planning on using data compression in your games (which you very likely will eventually).[/list]
[/quote]

Even if your goal is 'hardcore programming' starting with this list is probably the least optimal approach.