My friend is starting to like Java (help!)

Started by
31 comments, last by Nypyren 12 years, 9 months ago
My programmer is starting to like java more then c++! What should I do?
Advertisement
Really? Its Java. It is a great language for a wide range of projects, and often gets more done per unit of programmer time in those domains than what C++ usually allows.

If that is one of the biggest issues you can find to talk about in this world, then maybe the real world isn't the place for you?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

This is quite natural, Java only starts to look bad when you compare it to C#, compared to C++ its pretty darn nice to work with.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Your title says friend, but the actual post content gives the impression of someone hired by you. If he is is just your friend, he should be perfectly capable of making his own choice of tool depending on what he likes and need for a certain project. In the same way, he should be okay with using what tools you've defined if he is hired by you. After all, it sounds like he is proficient with both.

I like Java, and I like C++. What's up with having to choose sides? Do jokes about them Java guys if you like, but in the end we're all programmers, aren't we? wink.gif

(Optionally you can just unfriend him)
"Rodimus and Unity" - My developer journal

[quote name='Tiner' timestamp='1311108768' post='4837617']

This is quite natural, Java only starts to look bad when you compare it to C#, compared to C++ its pretty darn nice to work with.
[/quote]

I came here to say essentially this.
"I know you had the best intentions, but I think it's time we moved on. It's you, not me." <_< Yeah you should probably tell him about C#/.NET development. He'd probably enjoy it more.
The OP was joking, along the lines of "help! my friend has turned to cocain!"
I've worked with C++, Java and - a little - C# and am doing my current project in C#.

I like Java. I used to laugh at it too, but I like the minimalist approach of just taking a lot out of the language. I reminds me of C in spirit.

But I think C# is a winner. At its core it's like Java with hindsight and its developers (as in Microsoft) are a lot more ambitious and spirited right now (than Oracle w/r/t Java).

Buuuut I haven't been paying enough attention to Java lately to judge that with certainty. Anyone care to comment on that last point?
Does he want to rewrite your whole project in Java now or what?

Does he want to rewrite your whole project in Java now or what?

Haha, no thankfully. He agrees that a game engines should never be written in java unless it's meant for the web

I like the minimalist approach of just taking a lot out of the language. I reminds me of C in spirit.

We are surely not talking about the same Java. You do mean the language that goes to extra effort to enforce verbosity in every aspect of the syntax, and which standard library provides no less than 5 mutually-incompatible ways to read a file, right?

That said, I don't really dislike Java. I just find it to be a verbose and much less-friendly alternative to Python :)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement