3D File Format

Started by
0 comments, last by mmakrzem 12 years, 9 months ago
Hi! I need to choose a 3D geometry file format, possibly textual.

What I need is to define for each face (or vertex) a value, being it scalar or vectorial. I was going with PLY format, which is simple, but it allows, as far as I see, only RGB values to be attached (to vertices, edges, and faces).

I know what you're saying... RGB can be seen as a vector, and that I know. The only problem is that for debugging purposes, I'm using Paraview to see my PLYs, and I don't know how to tell it to visualize a vector field...

Thanks!
Advertisement

Hi! I need to choose a 3D geometry file format, possibly textual.

What I need is to define for each face (or vertex) a value, being it scalar or vectorial. I was going with PLY format, which is simple, but it allows, as far as I see, only RGB values to be attached (to vertices, edges, and faces).

I know what you're saying... RGB can be seen as a vector, and that I know. The only problem is that for debugging purposes, I'm using Paraview to see my PLYs, and I don't know how to tell it to visualize a vector field...

Thanks!

which 3d modeling program are you using? this will usually tell you what formats are supported.

depending on how you intend to use your files will usually dictate the format.

for my game engine i started with a text format, then i needed more flexibility so i moved to cob's. the i switched 3d packages and wanted to easily transfer data so i moved to fbx. fbx was a little too full of stuff so i stripped out what i don't use and created my own format

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement