Sign in to follow this  
SapphireStorm

DX11 [DX11] Pixel Shader Output

SapphireStorm    140
Can you write values outside of the range of 0.0-1.0 to a render target? I was going to use a pixel shader to compute some position information and store it in a texture. However, most of the data falls outside of the normal color range and gets clamped.

DieterVW    724
It depends on your render target format.

and format with

NORM is from [-1.0f,1.0f]
UNROM is from [0.0f,1.0f]
FLOAT is from [minfloat,maxfloat, nan, inf]

So you can do it if you use the right format.

MJP    19754
You can write whatever range value you want out of a pixel shader, whether it be floating point or integer. What happens to that value depends on the format of the render target you use. For instance, UNORM formats like R8G8B8A8_UNORM will clamp the value to [0,1] and then store that value in an integer representation. SNORM will clamp to [-1, 1] and do the same. SINT and UINT will truncate floating point values to integer, and output as either signed or unsigned respectively. FLOAT formats don't do any truncation or clamping, and just store the floating point value in the precision specified by the format. So if you want to store XYZ position, then you probably want to use either R16G16B16A16_FLOAT or R32G32B32A32_FLOAT (depending on how much precision you need for that position).

If you're interested in the full rules for format conversion (which apply to both writing to textures and sampling them), you can find them here: [url="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd607323%28v=vs.85%29.aspx"]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd607323(v=vs.85).aspx[/url]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By gsc
      Hi! I am trying to implement simple SSAO postprocess. The main source of my knowledge on this topic is that awesome tutorial.
      But unfortunately something doesn't work... And after a few long hours I need some help. Here is my hlsl shader:
      float3 randVec = _noise * 2.0f - 1.0f; // noise: vec: {[0;1], [0;1], 0} float3 tangent = normalize(randVec - normalVS * dot(randVec, normalVS)); float3 bitangent = cross(tangent, normalVS); float3x3 TBN = float3x3(tangent, bitangent, normalVS); float occlusion = 0.0; for (int i = 0; i < kernelSize; ++i) { float3 samplePos = samples[i].xyz; // samples: {[-1;1], [-1;1], [0;1]} samplePos = mul(samplePos, TBN); samplePos = positionVS.xyz + samplePos * ssaoRadius; float4 offset = float4(samplePos, 1.0f); offset = mul(offset, projectionMatrix); offset.xy /= offset.w; offset.y = -offset.y; offset.xy = offset.xy * 0.5f + 0.5f; float sampleDepth = tex_4.Sample(textureSampler, offset.xy).a; sampleDepth = vsPosFromDepth(sampleDepth, offset.xy).z; const float threshold = 0.025f; float rangeCheck = abs(positionVS.z - sampleDepth) < ssaoRadius ? 1.0 : 0.0; occlusion += (sampleDepth <= samplePos.z + threshold ? 1.0 : 0.0) * rangeCheck; } occlusion = saturate(1 - (occlusion / kernelSize)); And current result: http://imgur.com/UX2X1fc
      I will really appreciate for any advice!
    • By isu diss
       I'm trying to code Rayleigh part of Nishita's model (Display Method of the Sky Color Taking into Account Multiple Scattering). I get black screen no colors. Can anyone find the issue for me?

#define InnerRadius 6320000 #define OutterRadius 6420000 #define PI 3.141592653 #define Isteps 20 #define Ksteps 10 static float3 RayleighCoeffs = float3(6.55e-6, 1.73e-5, 2.30e-5); RWTexture2D<float4> SkyColors : register (u0); cbuffer CSCONSTANTBUF : register( b0 ) { float fHeight; float3 vSunDir; } float Density(float Height) { return exp(-Height/8340); } float RaySphereIntersection(float3 RayOrigin, float3 RayDirection, float3 SphereOrigin, float Radius) { float t1, t0; float3 L = SphereOrigin - RayOrigin; float tCA = dot(L, RayDirection); if (tCA < 0) return -1; float lenL = length(L); float D2 = (lenL*lenL) - (tCA*tCA); float Radius2 = (Radius*Radius); if (D2<=Radius2) { float tHC = sqrt(Radius2 - D2); t0 = tCA-tHC; t1 = tCA+tHC; } else return -1; return t1; } float RayleighPhaseFunction(float cosTheta) { return ((3/(16*PI))*(1+cosTheta*cosTheta)); } float OpticalDepth(float3 StartPosition, float3 EndPosition) { float3 Direction = normalize(EndPosition - StartPosition); float RayLength = RaySphereIntersection(StartPosition, Direction, float3(0, 0, 0), OutterRadius); float SampleLength = RayLength / Isteps; float3 tmpPos = StartPosition + 0.5 * SampleLength * Direction; float tmp; for (int i=0; i<Isteps; i++) { tmp += Density(length(tmpPos)-InnerRadius); tmpPos += SampleLength * Direction; } return tmp*SampleLength; } static float fExposure = -2; float3 HDR( float3 LDR) { return 1.0f - exp( fExposure * LDR ); } [numthreads(32, 32, 1)] //disptach 8, 8, 1 it's 256 by 256 image void ComputeSky(uint3 DTID : SV_DispatchThreadID) { float X = ((2 * DTID.x) / 255) - 1; float Y = 1 - ((2 * DTID.y) / 255); float r = sqrt(((X*X)+(Y*Y))); float Theta = r * (PI); float Phi = atan2(Y, X); static float3 Eye = float3(0, 10, 0); float ViewOD = 0, SunOD = 0, tmpDensity = 0; float3 Attenuation = 0, tmp = 0, Irgb = 0; //if (r<=1) { float3 ViewDir = normalize(float3(sin(Theta)*cos(Phi), cos(Theta),sin(Theta)*sin(Phi) )); float ViewRayLength = RaySphereIntersection(Eye, ViewDir, float3(0, 0, 0), OutterRadius); float SampleLength = ViewRayLength / Ksteps; //vSunDir = normalize(vSunDir); float cosTheta = dot(normalize(vSunDir), ViewDir); float3 tmpPos = Eye + 0.5 * SampleLength * ViewDir; for(int k=0; k<Ksteps; k++) { float SunRayLength = RaySphereIntersection(tmpPos, vSunDir, float3(0, 0, 0), OutterRadius); float3 TopAtmosphere = tmpPos + SunRayLength*vSunDir; ViewOD = OpticalDepth(Eye, tmpPos); SunOD = OpticalDepth(tmpPos, TopAtmosphere); tmpDensity = Density(length(tmpPos)-InnerRadius); Attenuation = exp(-RayleighCoeffs*(ViewOD+SunOD)); tmp += tmpDensity*Attenuation; tmpPos += SampleLength * ViewDir; } Irgb = RayleighCoeffs*RayleighPhaseFunction(cosTheta)*tmp*SampleLength; SkyColors[DTID.xy] = float4(Irgb, 1); } }  
    • By amadeus12
      I made my obj parser
      and It also calculate tagent space for normalmap.
      it seems calculation is wrong..
      any good suggestion for this?
      I can't upload my pics so I link my question.
      https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/147199/how-to-debug-calculating-tangent-space
      and I uploaded my code here

ObjLoader.cpp
      ObjLoader.h
    • By Alessandro Pozzer
      Hi guys, 

I dont know if this is the right section, but I did not know where to post this. 
      I am implementing a day night cycle on my game engine and I was wondering if there was a nice way to interpolate properly between warm colors, such as orange (sunset) and dark blue (night) color. I am using HSL format.
      Thank  you.
    • By thefoxbard
      I am aiming to learn Windows Forms with the purpose of creating some game-related tools, but since I know absolutely nothing about Windows Forms yet, I wonder:
      Is it possible to render a Direct3D 11 viewport inside a Windows Form Application? I see a lot of game editors that have a region of the window reserved for displaying and manipulating a 3D or 2D scene. That's what I am aiming for.
      Otherwise, would you suggest another library to create a GUI for game-related tools?

EDIT:
      I've found a tutorial here in gamedev that shows a solution:
      Though it's for D3D9, I'm not sure if it would work for D3D11?

• Popular Now