Any tips about where to begin java 2d?

Started by
12 comments, last by JosephParrilla 12 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys, As the title says i whant some tips about getting into the 2D game developement of Java.

Should i download some SDK or should i program with the standard library? Where do i begin? Where can i read about it?

I would like some info to get me started and also some tutorial / article so i can read about it..

(I already know some java but its time to start making games also)

Thanks.
Advertisement
I haven't used it, but I've heard people using Slick.
+1 for slick.

You could start with the standard libraries, make pong/tetris for example or sprite based games no problem, going further than that is not the easiest and will likely result in you getting frustrated.
I tried getting slick and make my own 2D game.. And it was easier than using the standard librares, I will try make some small games and keep reading my books :)
Ill repeat everyone else, use slick. It just gets rid of alot of the annoyances of Java2d, but doesnt really hide too much. Ive used Slick for a while, and for 2D games, you really cant beat it especially in Java. It does just enough but stays out of your way.

I used pure Java2D for quite a while, and I cant say that I enjoyed any of it :)
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me
Alright but if i create some games now with slick but if i whant to learn also 3D games what should i study while am not programming?

And also i would like to know more about game engines like what they are used for and why create ur own when you can use premade one.. If you know answear to theese questions for me please link me to article or something so i can get all my questions cleared.

Also:
I have one book called : Killer Game Programming

Thanks!

Alright but if i create some games now with slick but if i whant to learn also 3D games what should i study while am not programming?

And also i would like to know more about game engines like what they are used for and why create ur own when you can use premade one.. If you know answear to theese questions for me please link me to article or something so i can get all my questions cleared.

Also:
I have one book called : Killer Game Programming

Thanks!

Slick is simply a 2d extension on LWJGL, which is an openGL game library for Java. Once you want to move to 3d, it will be as simple as leaning openGL and using LWJGL to access it. When you link the jar's for Slick, you have to link LWJGL as well, so you basically are using them both.

Making your own engine in my opinion has 2 main reasons. The first and most common, is that you simply want the learning experience. The other, less common reason, is because an existing engine doesnt do what you need. It all depends on your goal. If you want to make games and you dont care about engine level code (physics, graphics, etc), using an engine is a good idea. If you want to also learn HOW engines are made, you can build up your own. This is a constantly discussed topic, and the general idea is not to have a goal of making an engine. Just make games, and along the way, the "engine" will begin to develop as you need more functionality. But to sit down and say, my goal is to make an engine, with no game in mind, is just silly.
- Me
Hmm.. I must say you explain it great to me and thanks for your help but.. So is openGL and LWJGL is the same thing or is it best to learn about openGL?

Hmm.. I must say you explain it great to me and thanks for your help but.. So is openGL and LWJGL is the same thing or is it best to learn about openGL?

Well there not the "same" thing. OpenGL is a graphics library. LWJGL is simply a game library for Java, that uses openGL. Basically if you learn LWJGL, you ARE learning openGL, just through Java. When using LWJGL, you call openGL functions just as you would if you were doing openGL programming in C or C++, the functions are just wrapped up for use in Java thats all.

The LWJGL tutorials and documentation are not going to make you an expert in openGL, so the best thing to do is get an openGL book, and just use LWJGL to do the examples or whatever. At this point though, dont be concerned with this. You should dabble in 2d for a WHILE before making the switch. If youre truly in a rush to do 3d development, just grab an existing game development tool like UDK or Unity, they dont require that you learn 3d graphics programming. So you can create 3d without actually knowing openGL or DirectX at all. On the other hand if you truly want to learn a graphics library, LWJGL is a great way, just not until youve done some simpler stuff first.
- Me
Yes i understand but its not like i am in a rush to start 3D i just whant some info because i am intrested in learning.. I will when am finished with my 2D game creations post them here on the forum.. Right now i am trying to learn slick from some tutorials and reading the API a bit, And when i learned like the basics i will create a game on my own with the API only as help..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement