S.O.S. new programmer looking for help

Started by
7 comments, last by ApochPiQ 12 years, 9 months ago
I am a new game creator, though I have been trying for years. The simple fact of the matter is, my computer is trash, so most programs wont work properly on my machine (Unity, Blender, Bullet Physics, Heck even java screws up from time to time.) I would appreciate help, especially in designing 3d FPS/Driving style games. What programs are good? How do I run them? etc.
Advertisement
Canned response : Read the FAQ?

With limitations on hardware you're going to be limited as to exactly what you can use, perhaps try an older version of java (though i dont know why it would 'screw up' if you're up to date).
I would start off without any third party software (well besides an IDE, those things are invaluable) and learn Java or C. From here you learn more Java or C. You'll probably know enough when you can create your own custom linked lists to look into event handling and create several simple games. Start off with pong. Move up to snake. From there copy a couple other games. Move onto a platformer. Next make another game etc... Now you can go and begin to learn OpenGL or DirectX or XNA or whatever else you want to make the game with. Or stick with just Java/C which is what I'm doing and avoid outside frameworks. I once heard "don't use something that you couldn't make yourself" because you don't want your options limited because you didn't spend the time to learn the foundations.

Overall this process will take time and effort. How much time it takes depends on how much effort you put into it and to trying to learn all the little details.

PS I've been programming for about 3 years and have barely made it past the platformer stage of my advice so please don't get your hopes up. Also 3D physics and math is very very advanced so if you haven't taken calculus (or trig I guess) I wouldn't even dare to try 3D game creation.
Get a proper computer first.

Nobody learns how to drive race cars by practicing on a bicycle.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

And a good computers are fairly cheap these days as well (Note: COMPUTER NOT LAPTOP!)
(Note Again: Get a normal form factor! (not itx/mini itx))

Get A:

2.2 GHz AMD athlon x2 (AMD is cheaper :D , But more crap :C)
2GB RAM DDR2
nvidia GT220

should be around £90~£120

My build is a little bit faster with a x2 2.7 GHz Athlon, neither builds are considered "Fast" these days, as companies get it into are heads that everyone needs a 6 core 4.0Ghz 16GB ram super computers. when my computer can run 3DS max, Photoshop, Unity3D, Mudbox, iTunes, all at once.
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
—Will Rogers
Depending on where you live you would be surprised of the computers people are just getting rid of.

Take out an add on craigslist looking for a computer for very cheap or even free, I had a friend that did exactly this and a nice business man gave him a dual core system with a good video card because he ended up upgrading and was just going to throw his old one out.

Get a proper computer first.

Nobody learns how to drive race cars by practicing on a bicycle.

You've not been to India... ;)

I have read stories of people in India graduating with a engineering degree that have never worked on a project.
100% textbook, no computers, no projects!
Edit: And by no projects I mean they have never applied any of their learning towards something.

I grew up in Southeast Asia.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement