Ps2 game programming

Started by
34 comments, last by ApochPiQ 12 years, 8 months ago
Ok, thanks, and then, is there some way to develop a Ps2 game knowing C and C++?, a Ps2 SDK for example, or something.
Advertisement
Yes but the only way I know to get this is from Sony after buying a license.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

I recall there being a BASIC language packaged with PS2's, probably useless though.
You cannot develop for the PS2 without ... break[ing] the law
That's just wrong information, and overly dramatic, sorry.
Sony released an official PS2 linux distro, that came with an official PS2 HDD, which allowed you to develop and run your own software.
With PS2 Linux [software and add-on hardware], a user can program his/her own games that will work under PS2 Linux, but not on an unmodified PlayStation 2. Free open source code for games are available for download from PS2 Linux support sites. There is little difference between PS2 Linux and the Linux software used on the more expensive system ("Tool", DTL-T10000) used by professional licenced PlayStation game programmers. Some amateur-created games are submitted to a competition such as the Independent Games Festival's annual competition. It is possible for an amateur to sell games or software that he/she develops using PS2 Linux, with certain restrictions detailed in the End User License Agreement.[/quote]That seems pretty legit to me.

Even if they didn't release their own official linux distro (which they did), there's nothing intrinsically illegal about installing your own 3rd party linux distro (unless you break some anti-copy-circumvention law, etc, in doing so, which you don't have to in this case).

[quote name='ertesd' timestamp='1311345812' post='4838928']
Ok, but I believe it, not by graphics or power but for control. The PlayStaiton 2 controller is easyer to use. My objetive is make a Crash Bandicoot game, and I think is better play it in Ps2 than in a mobile phone or in the PC. And with regard to the Dreamcast, I haven´t got this console.

Okay that makes sense. So you are looking at it from a input perspective and that makes sense.
[/quote]

I mean, yea that makes sense for touch screen phones. But Xbox Live, and a PC with a game controller are still better, more approachable options. XNA seems like the most appropriate choice, you can distribute on the PC for anyone with a gamepad, and on XBOX for everyone else. Seems a hell of a lot better than PS2, plus you can use C# which is a tad nicer than C++ :)
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me
Okay I wont do it for PC because, I haven´t got a XBOX, I´m only a Sony and Nintendo user:).

If I make a game for PC with C++, the result will be the same or similar to Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex?, I say it because I´ve seen some games developed for PC in C++ and the result is a little elementary.

Okay I wont do it for PC because, I haven´t got a XBOX, I´m only a Sony and Nintendo user:).

If I make a game for PC with C++, the result will be the same or similar to Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex?, I say it because I´ve seen some games developed for PC in C++ and the result is a little elementary.

Im not sure what this means. Theyre elementary? Are you aware that the majority of commercial game engines are written in C++? Im confused as to what you mean by this. Why do believe that a game written on the PS2 will be somehow "more advanced" than a PC?

Honestly, I have a very big feeling that you need to tackle some smaller projects first. Please dont take this the wrong way, but it seems as though you dont have a solid grasp of the nature of game development. Why dont you have a shot at some smaller projects first? Have you made any games before? If not, a Crash clone is going to be a bit over your head.My advice is to try C# and XNA, you can do some simple stuff and then you can move to 3D and try your hand at your idea.
- Me
It is a PC game written in C++:

I would like to have a professional game, not it.
Here is another PC game written in C++: [media]
[/media]

It is a PC game written in C++: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rxlenAsHpkM

I would like to have a professional game, not it.

Ok you need to start small, try making pong. You really dont yet understand much about game development, which is ok. You are not going to make something "professional" right now, so just forget about that. The game you posted most likely took a single developer quite a while to make. A common issue is that people who have never tried making a game, greatly underestimate what it takes. If you have never made a game before, you will not even be capable of making that game that you posted, let alone a Crash clone.
- Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement