Sign in to follow this  
ruohki

Starting Points

Hi first of all i want to say hi to all of you, cause i just joined the forums. (And sorry for my kind of weird english... this is not my native language)

I want to make a game, wich is obvisious i think :). I played around with some ready to use engines like Unity3D and UDK. And testet some Frameworks like XNA, SlimDX and some time ago TrueVision3D.

My problem ist that i cant decide way is good for my game. Im planing on doind an rpg, simple and plain no multiplayer and stuff. So i came up with 2 Solutions use Unity or UDK to create it and using its editors to design the world. Or using XNA/SlimDX and create my world mainly with Blender. Would it be adviseable to first create a Worldeditor Software for my Project? Iam really clueless where to start :S

Maybe someone got some good pros and cons :)

thanks

Do you have any prior experience, thats key to making a suggestion.

Also, even if you are working with UDK or Unity, you will still need an application like Blender for asset creation.

i recommend that you look at the video tutorials offered at 3dbuzz.com they have everything that you are asking for

Well i got programming expiriences as well as 3d asset creation with 3dmax, sound editing & creation in audition and texture work in photoshop. Ive never done a whole game before just proof of concept stuff and learning... mostly with tv3d but it seems that this engine is dead :/.

Currently iam bouncing between UDK, Unity and XNA with VB. I like the idea of writing the whole thing from scratch but iam afraid of xna's content piplestuff when it comes to map/scene editor stuff...

The game itself shall be in 3D :)

Oh and i meant to create the whole level/map/scene in blender/max and just place some objects to interact with if needed and stuff

[quote name='ruohki' timestamp='1311367747' post='4839114']
Well i got programming expiriences as well as 3d asset creation with 3dmax, sound editing & creation in audition and texture work in photoshop. Ive never done a whole game before just proof of concept stuff and learning... mostly with tv3d but it seems that this engine is dead :/.

Currently iam bouncing between UDK, Unity and XNA with VB. I like the idea of writing the whole thing from scratch but iam afraid of xna's content piplestuff when it comes to map/scene editor stuff...

The game itself shall be in 3D :)
[/quote]

So youve never actually written game code? Maybe you should try some simpler 2D first? It would take a lot of complexity away.

[quote name='ruohki' timestamp='1311369874' post='4839123']
ive writte game code... just not the whole thing :)
[/quote]

What exactly have you done? If you dont have at least one completed, fully playable, 2d game, you should do that first.

i would suggest that you join a team, if you're looking to make an indie game, and take a look at this small "in-game" clip of what the UDK is capable of

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM"]The Samaratin[/url]