what's the steps of learning 3d programing?

Started by
10 comments, last by deftware 12 years, 8 months ago
i am now have no obstacle with coding especially c++ or c#.
but i have no any 3d rationale.
Advertisement
Im not really sure what youre saying, are you saying you want to do 3D graphics programming in C++ and C#? What do you mean by 3D rationale? :)
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_algebra
Apparently:

He has mastered programming, specifically and primarily with C++ and C# languages.

But he finds obstacles with learning anything about 3D..

icuit: try nehe.gamedev.net

if that doesn't help with eliminating obstacles to your understanding 3D, try this for a more low-level understanding, which may or may not be applicable to the pursuit of your goals and desires..

http://www.friedspace.com/cprogramming/cgraphics.php

Im not really sure what youre saying, are you saying you want to do 3D graphics programming in C++ and C#? What do you mean by 3D rationale? :)

yeah.now 3d graphics programming is more and more used in all walks of life.
I want to learn 3D graphics programming .
as recently I read some books, there are all full of mathematical formula , geometry algorithm and also many Obscure terms like Normal,clipping region,so on.

But I don't have rich time to thorough understanding all of the knowledge,I want to know as a coder,what's is the most important to learn.
that's means sometimes a programmer wants to write a beautiful gui application may not familiar with fundamentals of compiling,
that's to say, we have to focus on what we do,but not deeply dig the base theory.

a another word, i need a way to start off in relatively short time. Beacause Im not a student more,I have to learn this by extra time or after work.

[quote name='joeparrilla' timestamp='1311354540' post='4839020']

as recently I read some books, there are all full of mathematical formula , geometry algorithm and also many Obscure terms like Normal,clipping region,so on.

But I don't have rich time to thorough understanding all of the knowledge,I want to know as a coder,what's is the most important to learn.
that's means sometimes a programmer wants to write a beautiful gui application may not familiar with fundamentals of compiling,
that's to say, we have to focus on what we do,but not deeply dig the base theory.

a another word, i need a way to start off in relatively short time. Beacause Im not a student more,I have to learn this by extra time or after work.
[/quote]

3D graphics are just naturally heavy in math, theres no way to aviod that. Linear Algebra is very important in order to understand graphics. There really is no way to avoid math if you want to be a 3d graphics programmer. You can make 3d models in something like Blender, but thats art, not programming.
- Me

Apparently:

He has mastered programming, specifically and primarily with C++ and C# languages.

But he finds obstacles with learning anything about 3D..

icuit: try nehe.gamedev.net

if that doesn't help with eliminating obstacles to your understanding 3D, try this for a more low-level understanding, which may or may not be applicable to the pursuit of your goals and desires..

http://www.friedspac...g/cgraphics.php

3ks for understanding.
I have browser the site before. But I really can not understand that how the meta(point,line,polygon,surface,vertex,triangle .etc) programing set up the vast scene like 3d games or Google Earth?
My goal is to write some 3d games or 3d virtual model applications.

http://en.wikipedia..../Linear_algebra

Explaining this terse but correct post:

A 3D graphics engine is basically applied linear algebra.

While it is certainly possible to hack your way through an existing 3D graphics engine without much linear algebra knowledge, you will likely find the process painful and the results unsatisfying.

If your linear algebra skills are not up to snuff you will likely have extreme difficulty implementing various parts of functionality.

On the other hand, if you have the required skills in linear algebra, most of the manipulations will seem easy to understand and implement. You'll simply need to understand a bit of the theory and the math will immediately fall in to place.

Tasks that are basically essential in a graphics engine today, such as skinning, blending, and spherical harmonics, require a solid understanding of the math behind them.

For example, you want to deform a model, and lets assume you want to implement a biharmonic interpolation so you can make your model deform really smoothly. It is a straightforward differential equation. If your math skills are up to the task you can do it by yourself from just looking up appropriate weights; if you don't have the math skills, well, you probably need to scour the web and search for someone else's work to copy, and hope they did it right because you won't be able to recognize an error since you don't know the math.

[quote name='icuit' timestamp='1311358360' post='4839049']

[/quote]

3D graphics are just naturally heavy in math, theres no way to aviod that. Linear Algebra is very important in order to understand graphics. There really is no way to avoid math if you want to be a 3d graphics programmer. You can make 3d models in something like Blender, but thats art, not programming.
[/quote]

you said Linear Algebra. is seems the OpenGL APIs have wrap the course?
ok.including Linear Algebra, does Calculus need?
pls tell me the steps to write a applicaion can load many 3d model files efficiently. what I have to learn and the right order.

[quote name='joeparrilla' timestamp='1311358478' post='4839050']
[quote name='icuit' timestamp='1311358360' post='4839049']

[/quote]

[/quote]

you said Linear Algebra. is seems the OpenGL APIs have wrap the course?
ok.including Linear Algebra, does Calculus need?
pls tell me the steps to write a applicaion can load many 3d model files efficiently. what I have to learn and the right order.
[/quote]

Im not sure what you mean about the OpenGL API. I dont know if too much Calculus comes into play. I should mention that I do not really have much 3d experience, I am only sharing what Ive learned through research on the topic.

Most of calculus doesnt deal with 3D space (stuff like derivatives, series, integration, etc) so I am going to guess that its not needed very much, I could be wrong though. The later, multi variable calculus could come into play... possibly? :) Now Im just spewing guesses .
- Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement