anyone ever make a card-battle system?

Started by
5 comments, last by lithos 12 years, 8 months ago
I'm thinking of making a game based off a card battling system. As you advance through the story you will pick up cards as well as money to buy new ones.

The problem is I want something a little more complex. Almost like a game of chess (I was think of the game "advance wars" when I was thinking of this). I have no idea of how this would work. Any creative solutions? Not sure how/if I will have maps they move around as they fight. It would definitely fall under the strategy category, not a fighter.
MEZNERgraphic design
Advertisement
Have you considered reinterpreting cards as set-pieces?
Start with basic chess-like pieces on small boards and then slowly increase the complexity with pieces with more complex movement-patterns or special abilities, a 'health' counter and attack-ratings, or add oddly-shaped maps with terrain-types, etc.

That's just a first thought. No idea wether it'd work.
I designed a card battling/deck building single player game once. I had difficulty getting away from the MTG mindset to make something a bit original. I wanted to have an animal-breeding dynamic by which the player would be able to "collect em all" as an overall game-goal. So I decided to go with a 2d array of monster cards - one axis being the type of animals, one being a color/element which modified the animal in a characteristic way. There were bonuses for using various elements of one animal, and bonuses for using various animals of one element, so it encouraged theme decks. Overall I was not vary satisfied with my design though, I thought it too simple and not original enough, so I shelved it.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Some time ago I found one game (I think it was called "Floating Island Story" but I'm not sure) that had a card battling system. It was a single player game that had a board game (race to the finish) feel to it. You start with a few cards that were various levels of elemental attacks (fire, ice, or lightening) and with every battle you built up a hand to use later on. Each round the opponents would play a card that would be an attack or defense or a status effect (heal, sleep, poison, speed, defense). At the end of the battle, the winner got to take a card from the opponent's hand. Loosing a battle wasn't disastrous as all the cards were easy enough to come by or replenish. I think you were also able to level up a card if you won enough battles.
Adding unique terrain would probably be the best bet. As it is an rpg-esque game, so different places will have different maps. Not sure how the pieces would fold out though.

I want to ditch a theme based deck. It will also be impossible to collect all the monsters (instead of monsters, it's really who is in your party).

My idea would be to have a maximum amount of crew members. It is actually a pirate game, so the numbers could be really high later in the game. All the guys have a certain bonus to them that pool together to give yourself an idea for the kind of power, health, etc you have. Then, there are additional cards for special moves, armor pieces, weapons, etc.

As for HOW the game will work is still unknown. Id like it to be more than just cards though.
MEZNERgraphic design

Adding unique terrain would probably be the best bet. As it is an rpg-esque game, so different places will have different maps. Not sure how the pieces would fold out though.

I want to ditch a theme based deck. It will also be impossible to collect all the monsters (instead of monsters, it's really who is in your party).

My idea would be to have a maximum amount of crew members. It is actually a pirate game, so the numbers could be really high later in the game. All the guys have a certain bonus to them that pool together to give yourself an idea for the kind of power, health, etc you have. Then, there are additional cards for special moves, armor pieces, weapons, etc.

As for HOW the game will work is still unknown. Id like it to be more than just cards though.

There is a RTS/TCG hybrid thing that EA made:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleForge
More like Dominion or Accession

Less like Magic the Gathering.
______
Only thing I can say.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement