OpenGL original library?

Started by
10 comments, last by RobTheBloke 12 years, 8 months ago
Hi

I want to start using OpenGL, but i only find libraries that extend OpenGL (GLEW for example). I was wandering if it was possible to get the OpenGL library by itself (with only the most basic of functionality).

Tks for the attention.
Advertisement

Hi

I want to start using OpenGL, but i only find libraries that extend OpenGL (GLEW for example). I was wandering if it was possible to get the OpenGL library by itself (with only the most basic of functionality).

Tks for the attention.

You most likely allready have them installed (They're part of the platform SDK on Windows)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
No, it is not possible to get the basic libraries. They should come with your compiler or ask a buddy to send you the files.
And GLEW is NOT OpenGL. It is a library that calls wglGetProcAddress/glXGetProcAddress which we all had to do before GLEW was invented.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
I see, thank you guys,

I have another question:
Correct me if im wrong, but the last GLUT release seems to be old, is it safe to use with, for example, win7 64 bits? or should i look into something else?
FreeGLUT is what you should be using now; it is (when I last checked) supported and updated still
Or GLFW
What about SDL?? is it good enought to use with OpenGL in a "serious" way?? is it efficient and fast with OpenGL?
It is good enough, and as efficient and fast as you make use of it.
It depends entirely on how much of SDL's functionality you need. I started with SDL since it's pretty much the default choice but eventually switched over to GLFW and BASS since I didn't need most of SDL's functionality and those libraries are very compact for what they do. If you do need the full functionality of SDL, though, I'd suggest giving SFML a try. While it was more heavyweight than I needed for my project, it seemed very capable and modern.
SDL is a very good choice if you can live with it's limitations (i.e., 1.2 branch doesn't support multiple windows and "proper" modern GL initialization). I may be repeating myself again and again but... Penumbra series and Amnesia are all SDL-driven. That should serve as some indication of the "seriousness". It's mature, it's decently documented, it runs on helluva lot of platforms, it's easy to use. And if you need modern GL, you can use SDL 1.3, which, IMHO, only improves the original toolkit.
WBW, capricorn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement