i need help with programming a Pac-Man style game

Started by
4 comments, last by NoahBangs 12 years, 9 months ago
I want to begin programming a pac-man style game. I know some C++, but i am still learning.

Any help?
Advertisement

I want to begin programming a pac-man style game. I know some C++, but i am still learning.

Just a quick question but how much C++ do you know? I would probably recommend to first make a simple pong game with beatable AI. Then move onto a slightly more complex snake game. After that possibly a version of asteroids.

From this point if you make all of those games you would probably understand enough about how to create a game that you would be able to figure out most of what to do by yourself.

To help out I found this useful tutorial site for SDL (a 2D API for C++) : http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php which you might want to work through.

A basic pong tutorial can be found here : http://www.cppgameprogramming.com/cgi/nav.cgi?page=pong (though its more like commented source code, you might want to find a better tutorial / youtube videos to help walk you through the steps)

[quote name='Mastermind89' timestamp='1311465427' post='4839407']

Just a quick question but how much C++ do you know? I would probably recommend to first make a simple pong game with beatable AI. Then move onto a slightly more complex snake game. After that possibly a version of asteroids.

From this point if you make all of those games you would probably understand enough about how to create a game that you would be able to figure out most of what to do by yourself.

To help out I found this useful tutorial site for SDL (a 2D API for C++) : http://lazyfoo.net/S...rials/index.php which you might want to work through.

A basic pong tutorial can be found here : http://www.cppgamepr...v.cgi?page=pong (though its more like commented source code, you might want to find a better tutorial / youtube videos to help walk you through the steps)

[/quote]

Thank you for the reply. I am currently watching youtube videos and they are help me a lot in learning. I know how to make a "guess my number" game, But i will look into that pong tutorial. Thanks again.

Any help?

What part about making the game do you need help with? Do you have a rendering framework already setup? You'll need to be able to render sprites for each component in the game. Collisions in the game can be greatly simplified to restricting the motion to a predefined grid.

Any help?

What part about making the game do you need help with? Do you have a rendering framework already setup? You'll need to be able to render sprites for each component in the game. Collisions in the game can be greatly simplified to restricting the motion to a predefined grid.
[/quote]

I don't know about rendering framework, but i haven't started making the game. I am using the program known as CodeBlocks.

I also can't seem to compile allegro for CodeBlocks in cmake because of the libgmp-10.dll issue. the dll is there, but i don't know how to set up path variables.

[quote name='mmakrzem' timestamp='1311534761' post='4839696']

Any help?

[/quote]

I don't know about rendering framework, but i haven't started making the game. I am using the program known as CodeBlocks.

I also can't seem to compile allegro for CodeBlocks in cmake because of the libgmp-10.dll issue. the dll is there, but i don't know how to set up path variables.
[/quote]

Actually now i'm using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement