Java vs C# (Mono)

Started by
27 comments, last by Dragonion 12 years, 8 months ago
What would you find the best for Cross-platform game dev?

In what ways would you find one of these good?

What is your opinion on these 2 languages?
Advertisement

What would you find the best for Cross-platform game dev?

In what ways would you find one of these good?

What is your opinion on these 2 languages?

It really doesn't matter all that much, the main advantage C# has for game development is XNA which isn't available if you go cross platform, The quality of the crossplatform libraries and engines are pretty much the same for both languages, both runtimes (Mono and Java) have good performance these days, Personally i think Microsoft will do a better job with the actual language than Oracle will.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

It really doesn't matter all that much, the main advantage C# has for game development is XNA which isn't available if you go cross platform, The quality of the crossplatform libraries and engines are pretty much the same for both languages, both runtimes (Mono and Java) have good performance these days, Personally i think Microsoft will do a better job with the actual language than Oracle will.

C# Mono isn't made by Microsoft
I've never really used C# and I don't know it's capabilities are, but much like Simon said, Microsoft will probably do a far better job with their product than Oracle (it seems they already are). In terms of cross-platform, I can't seem to find any evidence that Java works on the consoles, but Wikipedia suggests that C# is seeing support on the 360, PS3, and the Wii, so it definitely gets an edge.

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

"Cross platform" is way too vague. Which platforms are you trying to target?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

"Cross platform" is way too vague. Which platforms are you trying to target?

Mainly Linux, Windows, Mac, Android
I know that Java is faster than C# (when using the VM), but Java uses more memory, and I see Java has alot more game related tools like Jmonkey, Lwjgl, jogl, ode4j, jbullet and I haven't seen too many for C# (and please don't say Xna because it only works on Windows and Xbox 360)

And that some people say C# is much easier than Java.

But I find it difficult to choose between these languages
how do you know that java is faster than c#?

To answer your question, c# / mono / opentk will take you to windows, mac, linux, android, iphone and who knows what else.
You also have to think about Visual Studio as part of c#.. the productivity boost you get just by using it is, alone, a reason to prefer c#.

But as usual, when it comes of these threads my answer is.. you cannot choose and don't have the necessary background to make a decision... throw a coin then stick with it. Both languages are perfectly capable of delivering... the bottleneck is the programmer, not the technology biggrin.gif

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

I don't think there is really a significant performance difference between Java and C#. I'd pick C#, but that's just a personal decision. my impression is that C# is more advanced than Java in matters of actual language features. LINQ is pretty neat, to name one. There's a lot of nice syntactic sugar. Besides that, here is a comparison between Java and C#.

how do you know that java is faster than c#?

This will answer your question:

Language Benchmark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement