Sign in to follow this  
homer_3

2D Hand drawn art

homer_3    173
I'm working on a 2D game and was thinking of commissioning an artist to do hand drawn art for my game's characters. But for the deliverables, I was going to ask for drawn body parts. Like a drawing of each fore/upper arm, each lower/upper leg, the torso, the head, the hands (possibly in different forms like open fist and clenched etc), and the feet. Then I could stitch the pieces together in photoshop to make my animations.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to go about something like this? Has anyone tried this method before? If so, how did it work out for you?

sunandshadow    7426
Ragdoll/pivot animation can in some cases look okay that way, in other cases not. For example, does your character only travel sideways? That's an ideal application for ragdoll/pivot animation. But if you want your character to be able to walk toward or away from the screen, or worse to rotate from facing sideways to facing toward or away from the screen, that doesn't work well without keyframe animation.

plooby    125
I've seen some good games done like that. There was one with the character was a crash test dummy and bits of his limbs could fall off! But maybe have a look at the early 2D streetfighter games. They just seem to have different poses drawn out fully. But it still was a good game!

Prinz Eugn    4418
I think you would encounter some weird artifacts around the joints if you tried to do that, but it could work. I'd just be prepared to spend some time making the elbows mesh on your final sheet.