• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
torunefu

Where to start?

This topic is 2552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey , im new to the game development community and i want to start creating a game. Just a simple rpg game where you can walk around , fight monsters with a click and interact with npcs. I dont know where to start from as there are so many topics in C++ , i dont know which one does game progamming need. Im just a beginner so i need a website which provides a tutorial from basic to expert on game programming. Well , so first of all what programmes do i need and where do i start? What should i learn first and how i should carry on from there?
ThANKS!

Advertisement
Sorry to disappoint but, there is no tutorial which takes you from knowing nothing to being an expert. After all, how do you determine if you are an expert? Anyway, these things take time and a lot of practice. You have to start from the ground up, from building console applications and learning the language, fairly well. Only then, it is advised to go on to learning to create graphical applications. Why do you want to use C++? As many will agree, C# is a lot easier to learn. And you can use XNA to get up and started really quickly.
Anyway, best of luck.

I've been working on a mega post to answer this and many other new developer questions that continue to reoccur ( of course, it's 100% my opinion ). I know GameDev has it's own FAQ but frankly I like mine a whole lot better.

Still a WIP at the moment, as I need to finish up the C# and Java sections, but it should be a help to new developers trying to find their way.

So you want to be a game developer... now what?

Let me know what you think. Once I finish each langauge section I will split each out to its own post, for more... speedy reading for people interested in a specific language.

cant find the page ... you have to fix the link.

it think what the forum needs is a bot that automatically post a link to your page as answer to these kind of threads laugh.gif

my answer would be very short anyway.. "want to know where to start? start at www.google.com"

cant find the page ... you have to fix the link.

it think what the forum needs is a bot that automatically post a link to your page as answer to these kind of threads laugh.gif

my answer would be very short anyway.. "want to know where to start? start at www.google.com"

That link didn't work for you? Whats happening, you getting a 401 error?

As to starting at Google, to be honest thats become a bad idea as of late. Simply put, people have been too effective at gaming Google and if you google something like "C++ programming free book" or "newbie game developer" or "learning game programming", most of the results are completely useless sites. Google really needs to get better at determining "real" content from system generated crap. Next, due to the way page ranking works, established pages are often favoured, which defeats the microcontent sites, but poisons you in a different way... referring you to really outdated content. Thats why so many people come into these forums starting with Dev-C++.

this is what I get:

[color=#555555][font=Verdana,]
Ooops! I can't find the page you're looking for
You were incorrectly referred to this page by: www.gamedev.net

I suggest you try one of the links below:

[/font]

this is what I get:

[color="#555555"][font="Verdana,"]
Ooops! I can't find the page you're looking for
You were incorrectly referred to this page by: www.gamedev.net

I suggest you try one of the links below:

[/font]

[font="Verdana"][color="#555555"]Ahh, thanks. Fixed now ( link above editing, or [/font][font="Verdana"]Click here.[/font][font="Verdana"][color="#555555"] )

Just an FYI to anyone running blogging software, be careful if it autogenerates URL's based on Title if your title contains a question mark! Bad BlogEngine, Bad!

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the assistance, for some reason on my actual machine the link resolved just fine, I had to switch to my Mac to get the error you got. Odd.[/font]

Hey , im new to the game development community and i want to start creating a game. Just a simple rpg game where you can walk around , fight monsters with a click and interact with npcs. I dont know where to start from as there are so many topics in C++ , i dont know which one does game progamming need. Im just a beginner so i need a website which provides a tutorial from basic to expert on game programming. Well , so first of all what programmes do i need and where do i start? What should i learn first and how i should carry on from there?
ThANKS!

I'm a beginner like you and I've been looking at this site lately. It has great articles. Here it is:

http://www.hobbygamedev.com/articles/vol3/from-no-games-to-first-games/

good luck to us!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!