Sign in to follow this  
iYossi

OpenGL [discussion]DirectX 9 or 10 or 11?

iYossi    137
So I think I finally answered my self about OpenGL or DirectX, and as you see, I've chose DX. Now, I am facing a question just as big. 9, 10 or 11? I have the graphic card 8400GS and I know it is weak and won't work with DX11, but I am upgrading it, hopefully in a month.

Hodgman    51328
DX11 has "features levels" that allows you to support any graphics card down to DX9 level ones ([i]GeForce6+?[/i]).
The only downside is that DX11 applications do not run on Windows XP.

On the other hand, DX9 does run on Windows XP.

There is no reason to use DX10.

In a nutshell, if you want to support XP, use DX9, otherwise use DX11.

iYossi    137
Wait, so why not use DX10? Cuz untill I won't upgrade I still want to run more advanced stuff than a triangle.

And no, I rather use what's really best. Windows XP is too old anyway.

Demirug    884
[font="Calibri"][size="3"]DirectX 11 supports older hardware (DX9; DX 10), too. Therefore you don’t need DirectX 10 anymore as you can do anything with DirectX 11. [/size]

[/font]

Guns    150
Ignore Dx10. On Dx11 You have something called "feature levels" that let you run on Dx10 and Dx9 hardware (the Dx9 level is a bit more limitied compared to original Dx9). If you want to write a 2D game or a relatively simple 3D game, I would go for Dx9. Otherwise Dx11.

iYossi    137
[quote name='Guns' timestamp='1311602856' post='4839989']
Ignore Dx10. On Dx11 You have something called "feature levels" that let you run on Dx10 and Dx9 hardware (the Dx9 level is a bit more limitied compared to original Dx9). If you want to write a 2D game or a relatively simple 3D game, I would go for Dx9. Otherwise Dx11.
[/quote]

I think I'll go DX10 cuz I don't want DX9, it is kinda old like I see it, and I can't run any f*cking sampals from the SDK.

kunos    2254
[quote name='iYossi' timestamp='1311603024' post='4839993']
[quote name='Guns' timestamp='1311602856' post='4839989']
[/quote]

I think I'll go DX10 cuz I don't want DX9, it is kinda old like I see it, and I can't run any f*cking sampals from the SDK.
[/quote]

lol.. 4 votes for 9, 5 votes for 11... 0 votes for 10.. and you'll go for 10 [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif[/img]

forum users never stop to amaze me.

btw.. of course i voted for 11.

forsandifs    154
[quote name='kunos' timestamp='1311606885' post='4840017']
lol.. 4 votes for 9, 5 votes for 11... 0 votes for 10.. and you'll go for 10 [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif[/img]

forum users never stop to amaze me.
[/quote]

In order to maintain faith in humanity I'm hoping that was a typo on his part :P

My vote? All the way up to 11 baby!

_the_phantom_    11250
Firstly, calm the language down, there is no need for the swearing.

Secondly; what OS are you running? Are you drivers up to date?

Finally, run the examples via the debugger and see what errors it spits out, this might give you a clue as to why it isn't working.

The DX11 [b]API[/b] will work fine on your card assuming the OS and drivers are up to date and the examples are coded to use the feature levels correctly.

mind in a box    887
I once had the same card as you got! It was the Laptop-Version, though.

And yes, I developed using the DX11 API on that thing. :)

My friend, with a HD4890 had some problems with running DX11 stuff at feature level 10, though. But a driver update did the trick.
You should try that, too. Probably you're running some kind of driver from at least 100 years ago which doesn't even know what DX11 is.

gsamour    140
[quote name='iYossi' timestamp='1311611014' post='4840035']
I can't fucking run a triangle! And I really don't want 9. But, OK. Anyone has any good tuts?
[/quote]

Just like you asked someone for an explanation as to why use "9", please give us an explanation as to why you "really don't want 9". Also, you can find good tuts in several places. Google and Bing are your friends. And if you would like help with why you "can't run a triangle", we'll need more information... does your code even compile and link? Does it crash somewhere? Does it run, but with a blank/black screen?

Yours3!f    1532
(no flame intended)

why don't you use opengl?
It'd run on windows xp vista & 7 (and on other platforms as well) you'd get full dx10 level features with that graphics card until you get a dx11 level card, and the transition would be seamless. You wouldn't have to worry about whether you're on XP or Vista or 7 you'd get the same visuals and same features... Plus, as I recently experienced, the two API are like twins (or at least DX 9 and OpenGL 2.1), the same features, same workflow, etc. Although I felt like dx was harder to learn due to the lack of good tutorials.

mhagain    13430
OpenGL has it's own share of driver problems, and besides: the OP has already evaluated the two and chosen Direct3D (see the first post) so the question is really irrelevant.

grazing    108
While DirectX 11 is the latest and obvious most "high tech" release of DirectX, as others have pointed out using DX10 or 11 will cripple your game on windows XP, aka it won't work. (DX10/11 is not supported on Windows XP)

Now if you're focus is not to sell to the "masses" and just learning for now go for the latest version that works on your machine.
Do take heed though and yes it is easy enough to write two rendering .dlls and attach your application to the proper one at load time based on the OS (slightly advanced topic) creating a game in DX9 is what I recommend as a starting foundation. It doesn't require half as many complexities as DX11 does in setting up or rendering and still teaches you the foundation.

You also can learn to use Pixel and Vertex Shaders once you have a firm grasp which is basically what DX11 requires for everything to be rendered. So transitioning to DX11 once you grasp DX9 will be fairly easy. Going backwards ... eh possible but the DX9 -> 11 , again in my opinion is easier. Don't have to swallow as much to get your first app up and running etc etc etc.
If you want to support Windows XP and plan on selling your game/app or having friends run your app if they don't have XP and you create it with DX11 well too bad for them. On the other hand this link:
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers[/url]

while the %'s have shifted since that was last updated, I'm sure Vista/Win7 have not taken over in a combined % over XP and if you refuse to create the DirectX 9 rendering .dll (read above) you are in essence cutting out at least 1/2 of your potential buyer base which is crazy. You'll have to learn DirectX 9 anyways to support them, so might as well start there. :)

mhagain    13430
[quote name='grazing' timestamp='1311633365' post='4840230']while the %'s have shifted since that was last updated, I'm sure Vista/Win7 have not taken over in a combined % over XP and if you refuse to create the DirectX 9 rendering .dll (read above) you are in essence cutting out at least 1/2 of your potential buyer base which is crazy. You'll have to learn DirectX 9 anyways to support them, so might as well start there. :)
[/quote]

According to the latest Steam hardware survey, users with both Vista/Win7 and DirectX 10/11 GPUs are now on 56%. Total Vista/Win7 is 71%/72%. XP is down to 20%. DX11 looks more like the reasonable choice every day.

grazing    108
[quote name='mhagain' timestamp='1311637806' post='4840268']
[quote name='grazing' timestamp='1311633365' post='4840230']while the %'s have shifted since that was last updated, I'm sure Vista/Win7 have not taken over in a combined % over XP and if you refuse to create the DirectX 9 rendering .dll (read above) you are in essence cutting out at least 1/2 of your potential buyer base which is crazy. You'll have to learn DirectX 9 anyways to support them, so might as well start there. :)
[/quote]

According to the latest Steam hardware survey, users with both Vista/Win7 and DirectX 10/11 GPUs are now on 56%. Total Vista/Win7 is 71%/72%. XP is down to 20%. DX11 looks more like the reasonable choice every day.
[/quote]

You have a link to the survey? Wondering if it's a "poll." that was given e.g. the results will not be that accurate by a long shot. Only amongst those who voted.

MJP    19786
The OS + hardware data is generated by Steam itself, which queries the OS + drivers. They have the results here: [url="http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey"]http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey[/url]

grazing    108
[quote name='MJP' timestamp='1311647024' post='4840342']
The OS + hardware data is generated by Steam itself, which queries the OS + drivers. They have the results here: [url="http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey"]http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey[/url]
[/quote]

So it's based on those who actually have this 'steam' installed. Gotcha.

Thank you for the link though. :)

bubu LV    1436
Another statistics form those who has installed Unity Web Player: http://unity3d.com/webplayer/hardware-stats.html
There XP is 51.7% from all Windows'es.