[discussion]DirectX 9 or 10 or 11?

Started by
32 comments, last by mind in a box 12 years, 8 months ago
So I think I finally answered my self about OpenGL or DirectX, and as you see, I've chose DX. Now, I am facing a question just as big. 9, 10 or 11? I have the graphic card 8400GS and I know it is weak and won't work with DX11, but I am upgrading it, hopefully in a month.
Advertisement
DX11 has "features levels" that allows you to support any graphics card down to DX9 level ones (GeForce6+?).
The only downside is that DX11 applications do not run on Windows XP.

On the other hand, DX9 does run on Windows XP.

There is no reason to use DX10.

In a nutshell, if you want to support XP, use DX9, otherwise use DX11.
Wait, so why not use DX10? Cuz untill I won't upgrade I still want to run more advanced stuff than a triangle.

And no, I rather use what's really best. Windows XP is too old anyway.
[font="Calibri"]DirectX 11 supports older hardware (DX9; DX 10), too. Therefore you don’t need DirectX 10 anymore as you can do anything with DirectX 11.

[/font]

How 'bout an explenation?
Ignore Dx10. On Dx11 You have something called "feature levels" that let you run on Dx10 and Dx9 hardware (the Dx9 level is a bit more limitied compared to original Dx9). If you want to write a 2D game or a relatively simple 3D game, I would go for Dx9. Otherwise Dx11.

Ignore Dx10. On Dx11 You have something called "feature levels" that let you run on Dx10 and Dx9 hardware (the Dx9 level is a bit more limitied compared to original Dx9). If you want to write a 2D game or a relatively simple 3D game, I would go for Dx9. Otherwise Dx11.

I think I'll go DX10 cuz I don't want DX9, it is kinda old like I see it, and I can't run any f*cking sampals from the SDK.

[quote name='Guns' timestamp='1311602856' post='4839989']

I think I'll go DX10 cuz I don't want DX9, it is kinda old like I see it, and I can't run any f*cking sampals from the SDK.
[/quote]

lol.. 4 votes for 9, 5 votes for 11... 0 votes for 10.. and you'll go for 10 laugh.gif

forum users never stop to amaze me.

btw.. of course i voted for 11.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

Make that another vote for 11. ;)

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement