Black Screen with Linux

Started by
34 comments, last by TTT_Dutch 12 years, 8 months ago

do you have any way to check if the libraries are loading properly? for example, like using a debugger

If you can't, try to make a really simple app that loads are use a tiny feature of it, so you can test if loading is ok or not

The black screen keeps black? or it closes?

Ok I will download some test apps for SDL and glew. Also the app runs as if it normally would its just that GL doesn't draw anything to the screen except it does in windows.
Advertisement

[quote name='TTT_Dutch' timestamp='1311641300' post='4840304']
Ok well I can not do anymore error checking within my program because every single thing that could go wrong is being checked. Is there any other error checking outside of the program that I can do?

I have a tremendously hard time believing this.

Of course, since you refuse to provide any code, I'm not in any position to objectively dispute your claim, so...

[/quote]

Only things that can be happening is:

Not loading libraries
Debian with old libraries
Code referencing wrong libraries
Or some other issue in the code that is perfectly legal in Windows but not in linux

EDIT 1

So... test some sample apps and see if you can get GL running. if you can, your code is wrong in the big project, if it's not loading, then you're loading it the wrong way

Good lucklaugh.gif
"It doesn't matter how slow you go - as long as you don't stop"

"Declare variables, not war"

"There are only 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't"
And of course all of those things can be tested for trivially.

Dutch insists, however, that he's already testing for every possible error, so...

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Dutch insists, however, that he's already testing for every possible error, so...

Oh I see, so really there's nothing we can do, if he said this....
hope he finds out what it is

"There are only 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't"

[quote name='ApochPiQ' timestamp='1311641789' post='4840309']
Ok well I can not do anymore error checking within my program because every single thing that could go wrong is being checked. Is there any other error checking outside of the program that I can do?

Of course, since you refuse to provide any code, I'm not in any position to objectively dispute your claim, so...

[/quote]

Not loading libraries
Or some other issue in the code that is perfectly legal in Windows but not in linux

EDIT 1

So... test some sample apps and see if you can get GL running. if you can, your code is wrong in the big project, if it's not loading, then you're loading it the wrong way

Good lucklaugh.gif
[/quote]

Ok well I found an SDL + OpenGL app and it works. Still looking for a GLEW + SDL + Shader based OpenGL app though. Also I know its loading libraries because if it doesn't it will throw an error. Debian shouldnt have old libraries since I just compiled the latest source from the libraries websites. What do you mean code referenceing wrong libraries and code that is legal in windows and not in linux?

Ok well obviously I am missing something but every if statement that could possibly fail is checked and every function that returns an error code on whether or not it worked is check. Every file is checked when its opened and checked if it is read correctly. Every shader is checked if its compiled then we check the shader compilation log. We have one GL error but it is on both of our systems and it is thrown before there are even any GL calls so we believe that its some GL error or something.

EDIT: If you would like to know what it is, its pMesh = &m_mesh[meshName]; where pMesh is a Geometry * and m_mesh is a map<string,Geometry>. There are no GL calls before this or in Geometry's comstructor and the only thing to do with GL is GLEW at this point.

[quote name='Mauricio Cinelli' timestamp='1311641979' post='4840313']
[quote name='ApochPiQ' timestamp='1311641789' post='4840309']

[/quote]

Not loading libraries

EDIT 1

Good lucklaugh.gif
[/quote]

Ok well I found an SDL + OpenGL app and it works. Still looking for a GLEW + SDL + Shader based OpenGL app though. Also I know its loading libraries because if it doesn't it will throw an error. Debian shouldnt have old libraries since I just compiled the latest source from the libraries websites. What do you mean code referenceing wrong libraries and code that is legal in windows and not in linux?

Ok well obviously I am missing something but every if statement that could possibly fail is checked and every function that returns an error code on whether or not it worked is check. Every file is checked when its opened and checked if it is read correctly. Every shader is checked if its compiled then we check the shader compilation log. We have one GL error but it is on both of our systems and it is thrown before there are even any GL calls so we believe that its some GL error or something.

EDIT: If you would like to know what it is, its pMesh = &m_mesh[meshName]; where pMesh is a Geometry * and m_mesh is a map<string,Geometry>. There are no GL calls before this or in Geometry's comstructor and the only thing to do with GL is GLEW at this point.
[/quote]

Ok so I have looked around and the OpenGL error above is the only error that I have had for awhile and can find.
Can you run it on a linux machine with any other 3D card in it? (This'll tell you if it's the card)

Can you run it on the same linux machine with a software renderer? (this'll tell you if its the rest of the stack)

What happens if you run it on the same machine but booted into windows? (this'll tell you if it's that *particular* card).

Can you run it on a linux machine with any other 3D card in it? (This'll tell you if it's the card)

Can you run it on the same linux machine with a software renderer? (this'll tell you if its the rest of the stack)

What happens if you run it on the same machine but booted into windows? (this'll tell you if it's that *particular* card).

Ok well I can't do the other two because I only have older laptops.

Umm what do you mean by software renderer?

Ok so I was trying to do this on windows with VC++ and it starts up then says: "Error Missing GL Version".

Ok so I was trying to do this on windows with VC++ and it starts up then says: "Error Missing GL Version".

guess you found the error....

About the software rendering

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_rendering

[quote name='TTT_Dutch' timestamp='1311691202' post='4840556']

guess you found the error....

About the software rendering

http://en.wikipedia....tware_rendering
[/quote]

No I have always had that error but never thought it was important since I am only working on linux. I am trying to solve my linux problem at the moment and the only error I have is an error that I have had for awhile where it spits out the OpenGL error: invalid value after I point a pointer at another thing of its same type which had no GL calls in that call or before it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement