Black Screen with Linux

Started by
34 comments, last by TTT_Dutch 12 years, 8 months ago
Ok well I seem to have a bug somewhere in my system. I have a game engine in development and I get a black window whenever trying to run it on linux. The other programmer on my team can run it perfectly fine on windows. I have a ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4200. The game engine uses C++, OpenGL, GLEW, and SDL. I have installed GLEW from source, the proper drivers from ATI, and SDL from the Debian repositories. I have a high enough version of OpenGL to be running it. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? If you need more information please let me know. (I know its not the code btw because it runs on windows fine and our code is cross-OS + I can't paste code here because its such a huge project)

Thanks,
Brent
Advertisement
Error checking is your friend. Use it.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Double check if the portable code can run on linux, because windows and linux store libraries in a different way, windows uses dll and linux ".so" extension... IDk, maybe the game engine is loading a dll, so maybe it's not available in linux...
"It doesn't matter how slow you go - as long as you don't stop"

"Declare variables, not war"

"There are only 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't"

Error checking is your friend. Use it.

Thanks for your response.

I have used it very extensively. I log almost everything that could go wrong and I have gone through it with a debugger and looked at every piece of possible corrupted memory to see if it is okay throughout the program. Trust, I have definitly found it is my friend.

Thanks for the reply anyway though :),
Brent

Double check if the portable code can run on linux, because windows and linux store libraries in a different way, windows uses dll and linux ".so" extension... IDk, maybe the game engine is loading a dll, so maybe it's not available in linux...

Ok thanks, but I am not sure why it would be loading a DLL since I am using all linux libraries. I am using an IDE but maybe I have to define something when linking a shared library.

Thanks,
Brent

give us a feedback if you find something

"There are only 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't"
There are four possibilities.

1. You do not do enough error checking, even though you may think you do, and the problem cannot be communicated to you at all.
  2. You do in fact do enough error checking, and the problem is being communicated to you but you are failing to pay attention to it.
  3. Your error is not in your usage of APIs but elsewhere. For example, did you remember to put textures in your game that aren't all black? (I kid.)
  4. None of this is your fault and everyone else's software in the stack is broken.

Hint: it's not number 4.

1. You do not do enough error checking, even though you may think you do, and the problem cannot be communicated to you at all.
  2. You do in fact do enough error checking, and the problem is being communicated to you but you are failing to pay attention to it.
  3. Your error is not in your usage of APIs but elsewhere. For example, did you remember to put textures in your game that aren't all black? (I kid.)
  4. None of this is your fault and everyone else's software in the stack is broken.

haha, great hint!

Also, make sure that the SDL version that you're using on debian matches the functionality in the code.... because debian releases are really really slow and generally old

Ok well I can not do anymore error checking within my program because every single thing that could go wrong is being checked. Is there any other error checking outside of the program that I can do?

[quote name='Mauricio Cinelli' timestamp='1311640756' post='4840297']

haha, great hint!

Also, make sure that the SDL version that you're using on debian matches the functionality in the code.... because debian releases are really really slow and generally old
[/quote]

Ok how do I do that? I just removed all SDL stuff in my system and installed SDL 1.2 from source from their website so would that be ok? I also did the same thing with glew and am now doing the same thing with lua.
do you have any way to check if the libraries are loading properly? for example, like using a debugger

If you can't, try to make a really simple app that loads are use a tiny feature of it, so you can test if loading is ok or not

The black screen keeps black? or it closes?

Ok well I can not do anymore error checking within my program because every single thing that could go wrong is being checked. Is there any other error checking outside of the program that I can do?

I have a tremendously hard time believing this.

Of course, since you refuse to provide any code, I'm not in any position to objectively dispute your claim, so...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement