Sign in to follow this  
warfree123

Totally beginners question

warfree123    100
Hi,

I am a MMORPG gamer since year 2000 and i was curious on how they make or build a 3d games. I am a Web developer and standalone programmer (sometimes and i'm not that expert). I already created board games in Flash. But I want to learn to create a 3d game. Please suggest a things that i will be needed in creating a simple 3d game.

I'm trying to get the source of [b]With Your Destiny Online [/b]by some korean programmers. I see that game has a very simple look, but hard to think how they do that, and i have no idea on how to study it.

So please, if you have a simple games there to share to make a sample, please share it :)

Thanks and god bless

RoyCHill    92
[quote name='warfree123' timestamp='1311651359' post='4840367']
Hi,

I am a MMORPG gamer since year 2000 and i was curious on how they make or build a 3d games. I am a Web developer and standalone programmer (sometimes and i'm not that expert). I already created board games in Flash. But I want to learn to create a 3d game. Please suggest a things that i will be needed in creating a simple 3d game.

I'm trying to get the source of [b]With Your Destiny Online [/b]by some korean programmers. I see that game has a very simple look, but hard to think how they do that, and i have no idea on how to study it.

So please, if you have a simple games there to share to make a sample, please share it :)

Thanks and god bless
[/quote]

Linux has some. ..... ... ... . here is one http://home.gna.org/oomadness/en/arkanae_iii/index.html
[time to research about 15 minutes]

dalindeck    138
Does it bug anyone else when someone comes on here, says that they are a complete beginner to game programming, and then says they want to make a 3D game? This person seems to want a 3D MMO, yet doesn't realize the complexity of such games.

Radikalizm    4807
[quote name='dalindeck' timestamp='1311803038' post='4841310']
Does it bug anyone else when someone comes on here, says that they are a complete beginner to game programming, and then says they want to make a 3D game? This person seems to want a 3D MMO, yet doesn't realize the complexity of such games.
[/quote]

A lot of gamers have the idea that because games are fun and exciting to play, game development should be just as fun and exciting, because you know, how hard could it be if you already know which spells and races you want to implement in your super-awesome MMORPG, right?

@OP: Even if an MMORPG looks simple, they are probably the most difficult and the most expensive games to create and maintain
If you are really serious about creating games, don't go and look at other people's code; find some tutorials, start simple, write a pong- and a tetris-clone, a pacman-clone, a space invaders clone, etc. until you get a grasp on the concepts behind creating games, after that you can go on to go a little bit further

There are a lot of resources and threads for people who want to start developing games, I suggest you read those

warfree123    100
[quote name='Jacob Foster' timestamp='1311803038' post='4841310']
[/quote]

Hmmm... I aready have experience in creating a simple games. Also I know how complex a game should be planned, speacially in MMO games. If I'm playing games I also observe all things to it.

What I have here is to have suggestions and ideas on how to create a 3d game :)

If you have something please share

Thanks

frob    44902
[quote name='warfree123' timestamp='1311651359' post='4840367']
Hi,

[/quote]

Online games generally, and MMOs specifically, are very interesting creatures.

First, there is the computer program you run on your local computer. It is an incredible piece of work.

It is not uncommon for a game to have ten gigabytes or more of compressed final assets. For source material that often translates into the hundreds of gigabytes of source material. This is generated by large teams of artists, animators, designers, musicians and audio folk, who in turn rely on tools programmers, build script programmers, IT workers, team leadership, studio leadership, accountants, lawyers, HR people, facilities management people, and more. \

That's just assets.

Then there is the executable. It is developed by large teams of generally experienced programmers and designers and managers and executives and other people, working for multiple years.

That's the part you see.

Then there is the part you don't see.

There are data centers, usually multiple data centers at multiple locations around the globe. Each one has game software which took years to develop along side the game; plus they also have other tasks like user management and support and testing and integration and more. This must be maintained 24/7, with emergency personnel available who are able to handle everything from a network card that fails to a major outage between multiple ISP carriers that normally handle multiple gigabits per second suddenly stop working.

The cost for an MMO is in the hundreds of millions of dollars. The data centers alone can cost tens of thousands of dollars PER DAY to operate.

There have been several documentaries on MMO data centers like WoW and Everquest. Google can tell you more.

If you prefer something smaller than an MMO, there is a documentary on Minecraft, which is a recent hit. It started small, but as it jumped in popularity it required much money; they say the servers are roughly $250 per month per machine, and there are a lot of servers.

If you prefer to go even smaller than that, say a major AAA game title that is only local player, the cost is around ten million dollars to develop over the course of 1-3 years. Plus another 10 million dollars in advertising and distributing costs. Plus another few million in pre-production, post-production, and support costs.

Or....

To get a good idea of what it takes to make a smaller game, open up the credits screen. Watch the list of people who made the game. Even moderately small games credits tends to go on, and on, and on, and on for a while. Perhaps they have 10 programmers, 10 artists, 5 animators, and a few more as the core team. That team works on the game as a full-time job for 1-3 years to produce the project. Then they have a bunch of QA, and a bunch of non-development support staff, translators, audio, legal, HR, and more.

If you want to make a large game, your reasonable chance at success is to get on with an experienced team of professionals.

Barring that, whatever you make will be your own personal hobby. As a hobby, just pick an engine and do whatever you want.