Online Learning Options for a 13 year old

Started by
29 comments, last by J*A*G 12 years, 8 months ago
Well the title says it all really. I am a 13 year old and want to learn game development. I mainly want to focus on programming and modelling. I have tried to learn through free tutorials but am finding it very difficult. I also have found some options online but the are all for high-school grads. so does anyone know of any options?
www.worldofuniverse.wordpress.com
Advertisement
The key site I see linked too for video tutorials these days is 3D Buzz they have some amazing quality tutorial series for a number of modelling programs as well as programming tutorials using frameworks such as XNA or the Unity3D engine. I'd recommend them first and foremost a second recommendation I would give is the BurgZergArcade tutorial series on creating a Hack and Slash game in Unity3D it focuses primarily on the C# language within Unity but it would be very beneficial as a starting point to teach you the basics of Object-orientated programming.
Google+: Michael Chambers
Portfolio: Under Construction
Well, if you want to learn high-school grad stuff, what's keeping you from reading tutorials for high-school grads?
I suggest you learn about trigonometry, vectors and basic 2d coordinate systems first. Mostly because that's what i learned by myself back in elementary, as a part of learning game programming.

Also, see this for Java programming (I recommend that for a first language): http://eclipsetutorial.sourceforge.net/totalbeginner.html

Should be good for beginners. My main suggestion to you is to mess with stuff and learn by example.

Mess with the code and compile again. :-)

I advice against using a 3d graphics framework for a start. Do a little hello world first. Learn to program before going 3d.

That goes for development. For modelling there should be plenty of good beginner tutorials. Eventually you can combine the two fields slowly with a 3d framework.
I have seen 3D buzz before and they seem good and so does BurgZerg Arcade but what i was really looking for was somekind of courses with instructors. the only stuff I can find looks outdated or only for college students
do you know anyspecific tutoprials or courses that could help me learn all that stuff and from experience how much would you say you actually use trig in game development
Well courses with instructors generally come at a premium, I think that there are enough online learning resources available that you'd be able to teach yourself the necessary skills to program or model with time and patience. I think first you need to get out of the mind set that your too young or its for college students, if you're planning on learning a skill such as programming at age 13 you are going to be learning topics that are very difficult compared to things that are typically in your age range. Websites such as Dream in Code have numerous tutorials for learning programming which start from the absolute basics and then progress onto more difficult topics, this I would think is a good starting point to learning a programming language at your age or any age.
I don't know of any online learning options with instructors. Maybe the full sail "university" has one? That would probably cost, though...

I've used trig in all game samples I've ever made besides pac man and tetris. If you only intend to write arcade games it's not absolutely neccessary, but it will usually come in handy. Now i use trig all the time, and even when i want to make a basic game i find good use for trig. Trust me on that.

Concepts that "basic" have lots of google hits and good articles on its use.
Well I have already gotten rid of the mindset i'm to young (although someother poeple haven't) and as far as I know fullsail is only for high schools grads. I have tred with tutorials before but the thing is all of them are not linked and so I kinda lose direction. I was wanting a single course/instructor so it would make progress a little easier for me.
3D Buzz will be your best bet for a single tutorial series in which you can create something and for lack of a better word monitor your progress as you go through them, particularly in the C# XNA tutorials when they create small games and run you through various aspects of programming involved.
As for C# would you it is better to learn it or C/C++ or Java? I think C is more powerful but with a much steeper learning curve

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement