C++ Documentation in Visual Studio

Started by
7 comments, last by Delareon 12 years, 8 months ago
Hey,

well im an experienced C# Developer and currently starting to experiment with game development.
I also decided that i want to learn C++ for Game Development.

So far so good ofc i have some of the common starter problems.
But there is one point i really really miss, the documentation of the framework methods.

In C# when u use any method from the framework there is an XML Documentation available which delivers a short description what that method does.
In C++ i only get a list of the overloaded methods and the required parameters.....

Is there a Documentation i can include in Visual Studio?
Advertisement
The best resource available is MSDN. You can use it either online as a website (which I recommend) or you can purchase copies on DVD that integrate into Visual C++.

I'm afraid it's nowhere near as seamless as working with a .Net language, but it's the best we got in C++ land smile.gif

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I personally prefer having an offline copy of MSDN available, and I actually use an older version (from 2004 or so); it may not be bang up to date but it's fast.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Hey,

well im an experienced C# Developer and currently starting to experiment with game development.
I also decided that i want to learn C++ for Game Development.

So far so good ofc i have some of the common starter problems.
But there is one point i really really miss, the documentation of the framework methods.

In C# when u use any method from the framework there is an XML Documentation available which delivers a short description what that method does.
In C++ i only get a list of the overloaded methods and the required parameters.....

Is there a Documentation i can include in Visual Studio?

I still have my old book that I will recommend from a class that I dropped out of. C++ How to Program, Deitel & Deitel
http://www.deitel.com
General Studies A.S - College of Southern Nevada 2003 GPA 2.3
Thanks for the replys!

Im aware of MSDN and also have multiple sources including books as starting help. I just cant believe that this is all you can get in "C++ Land", well Desert seems to be the far better synonym.
Hell i allready know what i want to do pretty exactly, its just the how do you spell that in C++ and some special cases how you handle things in C++.
I just want a little bit support i dont want to memorize the whole framework.
Also the support you get from IDE and the few tools expanding the IDE for C++ are very very primitive.
Compared to C# where i have .NET documentation and ReSharper, C++ is somekind of dinosaur.

I was thinking that there has to be somekind of better support, thats crazy.
Nope.

C++ is a pretty miserable development environment, all things considered.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

It won't solve your documentation issue, but the Visual Studio C++ editor feels a lot better with VisualAssistX installed. It's still not the same as working in C#, but it makes the IDE a lot smarter.

It won't solve your documentation issue, but the Visual Studio C++ editor feels a lot better with VisualAssistX installed. It's still not the same as working in C#, but it makes the IDE a lot smarter.

Ooooooh Slavik thats cool!
ReSharper is far better in the C# world but this comes very close to it and it works for C++.
I thank you very much, this is one of that tiny things in a development enviroment which turn a frustrating coding into an funny experience!

Documentation is still an issue but i think i have to stick with MSDN. Visual Assist X really made my day!

Just a thought about the IDE.
Has anyone tried Eclipse IDE or something similar (free) for writing C++?
Just wondering because you have to pay for extensions like that assistance tool and stuff, for eclipse it would be all free.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement