I'm having a difficult time transitioning into DirectX

Started by
5 comments, last by Rosenzweigjcb 12 years, 8 months ago
So I've been trying to jump into DirectX for a while now, and every time I try, I hit a wall. I'm not exactly trying to make video games or anything with DirectX, but I want to learn how to use the library. Are there any books or tutorials anyone would recommend for me? I've tried Drunken Hyena's tutorials and about 10 different Ebooks with no result.

Maybe this is just a problem for me, but whenever I try to learn something new (natural language, programming language, program, etcetera) I have a problem getting over the initial hump. However, once I get over that hump and start understanding how it (what ever I'm trying to learn) works, it becomes much easier. I've digressed though.

tl;dr What tutorials/books would work well for me?
Advertisement
Which version of DirectX do you want to learn, and what language are you using?

Which version of DirectX do you want to learn, and what language are you using?

C++ and at the very least DirectX 9. But I don't believe there are any major differences in basic DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 code.
If you're looking for a DirectX 11 book I'd recommend Beginning DirectX 11 Game Programming. I'm about half way through the book, but so far I have had very little trouble following along. I was in the same situation you are, I had a lot of trouble finding a resource that would help me get over that initial beginners hump. A lot of books and tutorials just jump you straight into doing 3D stuff which I found difficult. This book starts you off with 2D and then goes on to 3D. I also like how the demo framework the book uses is small and simple, there are just two classes, one for initializing Direct3D and one for all the demo specific stuff.
C++ and at the very least DirectX 9. But I don't believe there are any major differences in basic DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 code.
Wrong. There are plenty. Perhaps not "major" depending on what you mean with this word, but the differences are surely there. By my definition of "major differences", the code has indeed "major differences".

In the past, I've posted some messages where I described working on D3D9 a total waste of effort for beginners. Although the demise of WinXP is proven slower than anticipated, if you are an absolute beginner you really don't want anything less than D3D10. You'll probably want to go 11 directly.

Previously "Krohm"

[quote name='Rosenzweigjcb' timestamp='1311824199' post='4841428']C++ and at the very least DirectX 9. But I don't believe there are any major differences in basic DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 code.
Wrong. There are plenty. Perhaps not "major" depending on what you mean with this word, but the differences are surely there. By my definition of "major differences", the code has indeed "major differences".

In the past, I've posted some messages where I described working on D3D9 a total waste of effort for beginners. Although the demise of WinXP is proven slower than anticipated, if you are an absolute beginner you really don't want anything less than D3D10. You'll probably want to go 11 directly.
[/quote]

I'm talking like bare bone basics, like how the primer works and such. But of course there are sure plenty of differences between DX11 and DX9.

If you're looking for a DirectX 11 book I'd recommend Beginning DirectX 11 Game Programming. I'm about half way through the book, but so far I have had very little trouble following along. I was in the same situation you are, I had a lot of trouble finding a resource that would help me get over that initial beginners hump. A lot of books and tutorials just jump you straight into doing 3D stuff which I found difficult. This book starts you off with 2D and then goes on to 3D. I also like how the demo framework the book uses is small and simple, there are just two classes, one for initializing Direct3D and one for all the demo specific stuff.

Thank you a lot. It really is the dummy's guide I needed. This oughta' help me get over that initial hump.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement