so, what happened to "favorites"?

Started by
12 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 12 years, 7 months ago
I always had my own list of favorite forum sections.. can this be re-added to the forum again?
There are a lot of forums in main view and most forums that i don't frequent there are just a big messy distraction to me.

Projects: Top Down City: http://mathpudding.com/

Advertisement
We lost favorites here and in the old forums. I iz sad.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

What you do now, is you 'watch' a topic, with "No notification' set as the notification type.

Then you go to, 'My Settings -> Forums -> Managed Watched Topics' and it's organized by forum category.
Mostly I just ignore that, though (Edit: Because it's not easily accessible), and merely bookmark it using my browser's bookmark system or delicious.

If you are looking for threads that you posted in, just check 'My Content -> Forums', and it's automatically in there, whether you 'watch' it or not.
Admittedly. My Content is cool. I still wish I had access to my favorites in the old forum. Those were some good damn topics.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

In "Watched Topics", what happens when you choose to view topics from "The Beginning" ? biggrin.gif

UPDATE: Small glitch, gonna have to try and reimport them all tomorrow

In "Watched Topics", what happens when you choose to view topics from "The Beginning" ? biggrin.gif

The problem is, you have to click through three different links to get to it, and have three different page refreshes, to get to what should be a very frequently visited page (Also, for most users wouldn't think to look under "Settings" to find their favorites).
If you could just add under "My Content", a link that links directly to that page called, "My Watched Topics", it'd make that page alot more useful (at least to me). As it is, I don't use it, even though I've been aware of it, because it's more of an inconvenience than a convenience. Early in the site's new release, I gave it a shot for a month or so (before "My Content" was functioning), but decided not to use it on a regular basis.
Not only can you watch topics, you can find a button at the top of every forum that lets you watch that forum. Then, in the sidebar on the main forums index you can collapse the first two boxes and that will bring the Watched Content box within easy view. There you can select the Forums tab to see at a glance any of your favorite forums that have new posts in them (remember though that topic read tracking is turned off, so unless you're remembering to 'Mark Forum as Read' after each forum visit you won't see only forums with new posts in them - but you will still see all your watched forums).

The Manage Watched Topcis/Forums page is actually something I think we can expose better by adding a button somewhere that will take you straight to it. Maybe a "View All" link in the Watched Content box and rename that whole thing to "Favorites" or "My Bookmarks". I've created an issue for that improvement in our internal task tracker.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I don't wish to watch "topics", i want to watch forum >sections< that matter to me.

Projects: Top Down City: http://mathpudding.com/

I don't wish to watch "topics", i want to watch forum >sections< that matter to me.

There is a watch forum button on each forum. That's about as close as you're going to get with this software.

What I described in my post above is a direct match to what we used to have with the old forum favorites system. You like a forum (watch it here) and it would appear in a short list at the top of the forum listing (now a short list on the forum sidebar here)

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement