As far as maths goes..

Started by
8 comments, last by QuinnJohns 12 years, 8 months ago
What kind of maths is most dominant in programming? Game programming specifically.

I'm only in high school, taking advanced algebra 2 this year, and need to decide on Trig or Calc for my senior year, if i can't double up with them.

I also plan on taking physics, and hopefully physics 2.

So basically i'm asking which is more dominant: trigonometry or calculus?
Advertisement
linear algebra
discrete mathematics
I'd say pick trig.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

Trigonometry and Matrices is a definite
I would double up if you can. Delay physics until college; learning physics without knowing calculus is rather limiting.

Otherwise trig is the more useful of the two.
I would agree to wait untill college untill physics. I dont have much of a game progamming background but im in school right now to start my CS degree. But high school physics is alot different then physics with calculus same general material different workload and looked at differently. I would say trig first or both at same time if you need to but there is alot of tri involed in calc as far as knowing which trig functions are inverses etc as well as domain and ranges it would be easier if you know those. This is just coming from a math background as I am still learning programming at the moment but I am taking calc 3 and physics 2 starting this fall.
Thank you all for your feedback!
Beyond standard algebra, you'll run across several kinds of math almost constantly in modern (3D) game development.

• linear algebra: vectors for positions, directions, and velocities; matrices for transforms and orientations; vector operations like dot product and cross product
  • trigonometry: going back and forth between angles and vectors
  • differential equations: most of these are basic mechanics and involve position, velocity, and acceleration
  • numerical methods: numerical integration (e.g. acceleration to velocity, velocity to position) and differentiation (vice versa)

You'll need to know a lot of these even if you aren't a graphics programmer or physics programmer. They come up in gameplay programming far more often than you might think.

Calculus doesn't come up nearly as often but it doesn't hurt to learn anyway. :)
Aside from taking formal college courses, what books or online resources would you guys recommend for someone wanting to learn all the game math concepts?

Aside from taking formal college courses, what books or online resources would you guys recommend for someone wanting to learn all the game math concepts?

To be honest, even in college, one of the best math resources I've ever found was http://www.khanacademy.org/.

Enjoy.
Quinn
[size="2"][size="1"][size="2"]- Quinn
[size="2"][size="1"][size="2"]Software Developer, Mintrus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement