Unlimited Detail Real-Time Rendering Technology

Started by
19 comments, last by TomKQT 12 years, 8 months ago
Hello, ill make things fast. I've noticed the new video that got up yesterday and it got me thinking if it's even possible.

Are there technological limitations like reflections,refractions,animations?
Hardware limitations? RAM,cpu?

I think its quite possible that we have a future of gaming.
Please post your comments and toughts.

Video:

Cheers, Anže
Advertisement
Previous topics:
http://www.gamedev.n...limited-detail/
http://www.gamedev.n...ail-technology/

It's a point-cloud renderer, like a voxel renderer, but slightly different.

The interesting features are:
1) some kind of acceleration structure for fast ray queries through the point-cloud data.
2) some kind of storage format for efficiently storing large amounts of point-cloud data, maybe.

#1 hopefully has an animated and non-animated version.
#2 is very dubious, as they're scenes are all instanced models which don't need highly efficient storage.

That's really it. He's made a good acceleration structure, and is very secretive about it because once he releases it, everyone else will copy and improve upon this structure that he's been working on in secret for 16 years and he'll no longer be special. I'm quite doubtful that it's really that fancy - probably a few obvious tricks combined... which they'll probably patent and make everyone hate them.

I really just can't get past the fact that the CEO always sounds like a complete condescending douchbag though...

...And I'm pissed they scammed $2M out of the government... wink.giftongue.gif

I really just can't get past the fact that the CEO always sounds like a complete condescending douchbag though...

I feel that you only think that because you already know a lot about the tech and how tech works in graphics. He seems to just be trying to dumb down the terminology for potential investors etc.

Engineering Manager at Deloitte Australia

It's time for unlimited detail yet again!
I love the technology. By sure, I have a lot to learn from those guys because 1 year later they're still running the marketing pretty well!
We still don't have any measure of complexity, nor knowledge of hardware requirements. They claim they can make it run at 20 fps on software... who does even care. With this shading complexity, I don't see much of a problem. They improved it only slightly WRT the old video. We still know nothing about the workflow, nor the amount of preprocessing. What have we got?

Multiple different meshes! Ok, the LODding is admittedly awesome. Point taken. They are instanced a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot. Especially apparent for grass.
Improved shading capability: they are beating me hands down!
?

Anyway, I talked to a man in the GIS sector who claimed to be able to mangle a 5 Billion point dataset "with minor sweat"... I suppose he could say something about working with point-cloud representation as they scan whole valleys as daily routine!

Previously "Krohm"

I feel that you only think that because you already know a lot about the tech and how tech works in graphics. He seems to just be trying to dumb down the terminology for potential investors etc.
The extreme dumbing down of the content doesn't help, but, it's mostly because he speaks in a really sensationalist, arrogant and condescending tone, rather than the content of what he's saying, that makes me cringe away from the douchebaggery.
I highly doubt this is the future of gaming. He showed no animations at all. If animating point clouds was possible he would have had something to show for it, even if it looked crappy.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

So no substantial news/ progress with these guys?
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
Voxel based worlds are powerful, might be the next "big" thing, not in terms of technology which's been around for like 20 years. In terms of "newness" in the public's eye. Voxel are sufficiently different enough to "wow" the common public, enough so to let a game stand out from the pack.. Their demo is highly lacking but that doesn't detract from what can be done with voxels. Voxel based world with normal mapping u could have extremely detailed looking worlds with dynamic properties.

-ddn
I love this guy. Every year or so he resurfaces and makes me laugh my ass off with his crazy bullshit.
Like many others have said over the years this project has been around, I'll believe when I see it working on my desktop computer or console, so far they have only shown a couple of screenshots and videos which would not be all that hard to fake, specially if they get them million dollar investments.

So far it could all be just a smoke screen, however I do hope its real and hits the market soon, that way videogame companies would finally stop wasting millions of dollars in squeezing a few more polygons and perhaps start spending some of that on actually original and fun games... I'm pretty sick of poly count being a selling point for games that ultimately have nothing else to show for.

Game making is godlike

LinkedIn profile: http://ar.linkedin.com/pub/andres-ricardo-chamarra/2a/28a/272

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement