Advise needed for new game

Started by
16 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 8 months ago
Hi all.

Please advise me on the following:

I have a idea for a MMO game.

Long story short, it will be a racing game, where you actually buy cars & upgrades with real money. And to race you must purchase a race. Users will only be able to race on "lap time", so there will be three cash prizes, First place, second, third, maybe even up to five prizes. So for example, each user purchase a race ticket of let's say 10.00 USD and there is about 1000 users who purchased a ticket. So with the total you take 30% for first prize, 20% for second and 10% for third.

I'm sure you get where i'm going at.

I know you won't be able to have a online racing game, but if you look at Dirt 3, you can upload your races to youtube, so in a way i thought you can do something like uploading your lap time to the server.

If there is anyone that might be interested to working with me on this project, don't hesitate to contact me.

Also, what do you all think about this game?

Advertisement
A few things. First of all, you're expecting people to pay real money on a game? And $10 per race? Dream on. Sorry bud, but that will never happen. That's a ridiculous price, assuming people would even be willing to pay any money. Try making it either free, pay for the install, or a monthly subscription, where you can earn in-game currency (that you can also buy with real money) to buy cars and upgrades. That could work.

Secondly, what do you mean by you won't be able to have an online racing game? An MMO that doesn't involve playing online? A bit contradictory...it'd be a lot of work programming but it's more than possible. Just BTW, Tom Sloper says (on his site) that no one wants a game idea, and you definitely can't sell one, and that unless you write it up very well/have a job in the industry you probably won't be able to find anyone who will work on it. HOWEVER, I might be willing to work with you depending if you have more than just a simple game idea. I'll contact you :)

Finally, the game idea sounds pretty cool but a racing game (even without multiplayer) is quite complicated/takes LOTS of work. You'd need many experienced programmers as well as LOADS of testers/modellers/artists.

E-mail me: tylerboydblue/at/gmail/dot/com

what do you all think about this game?

I think that i wouldn't spend that much cash on a game.. And i don't think other people would be intrested either..
You could make like the Free to play fps games that there is free player credits that you earn from every race and there is credits you can buy from real money and theese
credits can buy you more powerful items for your car.. Myself i think thats a better idea.
TheCompBoy, What i mean't by $10 was jus an example, it can be made alot cheaper, i simply think that if you win a race, you will win allot more than your race ticket. Thats if you win ofcourse.

TheCompBoy, What i mean't by $10 was jus an example, it can be made alot cheaper, i simply think that if you win a race, you will win allot more than your race ticket. Thats if you win ofcourse.

Its good idea but if you are intrested in many players you maybe should do both.. For the players that are intrested in cash play the premium races and play with real cash.. Or if you don't want to play the Practice races or free to play races.. ?
That could also work, actually its a good idea :)

I also mailed you Tyler.

That could also work, actually its a good idea :)

I also mailed you Tyler.

I am a pretty good programmer in Java maybe i could help also ?
I recently also started learning C++ but i know the basics.. Would be cool to work on a project.
Just my two cents, I think the concept is really interesting, and something you could easily get players interested in.
I will throw this in as something to think about: Less is More. A few games with cash shops seem to have gotten the idea that less is more, now what you're seeing is more people spending more money in smaller increments. Where before a few people might spend the $50 once in a while, now you have tons of people spending the $5 every few days. Think about that when you're building your cash options for this game. You don't need to charge someone a few bucks each time they race, because people will quit racing real quick if they're not winning. You might want to, instead, look at charging a minuscule amount, something so small that there's no excuse NOT to spend it.

That's just my two cents, good luck with this!
I've replied to your email :)

Personally, if you want me to work on this game, I believe that we should include TheCompBoy. However we need to decide on a language...

I'm a very experienced C++ programmer and started learning the basics of Java a few days ago...It seems that you're pretty much the opposite :P

I agree with Johnscapey 100%, but also I think that like in a certain Call of Duty game you could pick between different "levels" of wager (so like, 25 cents, $1, $10, etc) where you compete against others in the same wager level.
This isn't a technical question. Moving to Game Design.
code, please post your Help Wanted in the Help Wanted forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement