visual studio 2010 worth it?

Started by
24 comments, last by Aardvajk 12 years, 8 months ago
I've also used 2010 on 32-bit XP, and it's quite slow to launch. I use it more heavily on 64-bit Win7 and have no issues with performance (compared to 2008, which isn't exactly speedy). On both platforms I haven't had any issues with stability.

If you use Visual Assist X, you can try disabling IntelliSense since that's finally exposed as an option. I haven't had any issues with IntelliSense speed, it's certainly much faster than 2008, especially when you switch build configurations. I've also always been using Visual Assist, so am effectively parsing the code twice.
-- gekko
Advertisement
I'm confused. Did 2008 already support debugging STL containers? Use multiple cores for compiling? Support at least a few features of C++0x? Usually I'm glad when I come home from work (using VS2008) and can go back to using 2010 Express. Though I'm not on XP here and at work the first startup of 2010 takes forever on XP (though I never into any other issues).

Since Express is free, how it can not be worth it? It's not like it's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to uninstall your old IDE.
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de

Did 2008 already support debugging STL containers?

Do you mean inspect the elements in an STL container while debugging? 2005 could do that.

Use multiple cores for compiling?

Yes

Support at least a few features of C++0x?

Technically no, but it has an implementation of tr1, which formed part of the new specification. However the C++0x features proper are the main reason I would want to upgrade.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]Since Express is free, how it can not be worth it? It's not like it's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to uninstall your old IDE.
[color="#1c2837"][/quote]
[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]I couldn't agree more, the free version is certainly worth installing, and I've had zero problems with the express version at home, at work with the professional edition on a 32bit XP machine 2010 is unusable. Luckily we are upgrading to new hardware with Windows 7 64 bit in the next month, so I am very interested if this will have an effect.

Unless you need 64-bit compilation, the Express versions are free. So I'd say yeah, totally worth it. ;)

Visual C++ 2010 Express has full and official support for 64 bit compilation. All you need to do is install the latest Windows SDK to get the 64 bit compilers, the new architecture then become available in the VS Express IDE automatically.
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
If you do any WPF work then 2010 is superior to 2008.

[quote name='EJH' timestamp='1312490096' post='4844685']
Unless you need 64-bit compilation, the Express versions are free. So I'd say yeah, totally worth it. ;)

Visual C++ 2010 Express has full and official support for 64 bit compilation. All you need to do is install the latest Windows SDK to get the 64 bit compilers, the new architecture then become available in the VS Express IDE automatically.
[/quote]
Proper 64-bit compiling is supported since VS 2005 actually and it was that SDK that introduced it not the latest one.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Yep Express versions can compile 64-bit code (without hacking, which i had to do in 2008), assuming you have Windows SDK 4 installed.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

[quote name='Trienco' timestamp='1312558648' post='4845057']
Use multiple cores for compiling?

Yes

[/quote]

Actually, there is a difference between the two. VS2008 would use one process per project. VS2010 allows you to use multiple cores on a single project. At work, I have a large legacy C++ project that is part of the solution. Upgrading to 2010 on a quad core machine has drastically reduced the build time (from around 40 mins to 10 mins).
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Actually, there is a difference between the two. VS2008 would use one process per project. VS2010 allows you to use multiple cores on a single project. At work, I have a large legacy C++ project that is part of the solution. Upgrading to 2010 on a quad core machine has drastically reduced the build time (from around 40 mins to 10 mins).

You're thinking of the /M option. You can also specify the number of processes for building multiple source files using /MP (which has also been available since 2008). It's certainly not unthinkable though that this feature has been improved for 2010.
i must say that the SP1 update fixes a LOT of stuff, no more crashes when switching from one code page to another while saving.
i say it is definetly worth the upgrade :)

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement