[Theory] Unraveling the Unlimited Detail plausibility

Started by
166 comments, last by Ben Bowen 11 years, 10 months ago
The chances that Euclideon is not a scam are very very very slim (I just don't like being 100% absolute). I find the tone of the narration in the videos and the claims totally ridiculous.... Other projects such as the Atomontage engine are actually serious and realistic.
Advertisement
[media]
[/media]
You say the technology has unlimited power?
Umm, yes, yes we do.
We have a search algorithm [which] grabs one atom for every pixel on the screen. So if you do it that way, you end up being able to have unlimited geometry.[/quote]When he says "search algorithm", he's obviously referring to their spatial acceleration structure, such as an SVO.
What he's implying here, is that their data structure has a computational complexity of [font="Courier New"]O(P)[/font], where [font="Courier New"]P[/font] is the number of pixels rendered.
So, if you're rendering a single pixel, that's a structure with complexity of [font="Courier New"]O(1)[/font]. Not [font="Courier New"]O(N)[/font] (where [font="Courier New"]N[/font] is the amount of geometry), or [font="Courier New"]O(K.N)[/font], or [font="Courier New"]O(log(N))[/font], or [font="Courier New"]O(sqrt(N))[/font], no... [font="Courier New"]O(1)[/font].

They've got an acceleration data-structure where the search time is unrelated to the amount of data being searched, whatsoever. A search within 10KB of data is the exact same complexity as a search within 10PB of data.

They've apparently proved that there is such a thing as a free lunch, which isn't just a revolution for computer graphics, but for computer science in general. Google should be buying his company and patenting this discovery. Seriously, it's that much of a big deal.

People were claiming that you must have some sort of memory limitations?
Umm. No. The simple answer is: no. Our memory compaction is going remarkably well.[/quote]So not only do they have [font="Courier New"]O(1)[/font] search on unlimited data, they've also got infinite compression ratios on unlimited data.
There are no memory limitations at all; they'll just compress infinity into finite space.

And he wonders why people are having a bad reaction to his presentation? He wonders why he's being called a liar when he's saying things that can't be true?

The video JPEG'ed the poor thing.
We know what LOD'ing is; level of distance.
Most people don't really know what tesselation is ... it means the polygons .... have information about how high they are, [which] is used to break them up into little polygons and create bumps. Tesselation bumpy map.
...if you want to put it on a Game Boy DS or something like that, you've got to rebuild all the graphics.
Hello my name is John, I do *raises eyebrows* data compaction. I take *raises eyebrows* atoms, and I smash them *raises eyebrows* with a sledgehammer, until they submit to me.[/quote]W.T.F.

He goes on a lot about how great it is to import graphics from the real world -- but this is a red herring. He mentions their elephant a lot, how it was scanned into a 500k poly model, and then converted the polygonal model to 'atoms' for rendering... which means the scanning stuff is in no way related to their rendering tech - it's just as applicable to polygon renderers.

He also completely misinterprets Carmack and Notch's objections, and creates a false dichotomy between their statements. That was just painful to watch.
I don't see why you find this hard to believe. I mean they said it themselves using the CPU they only get 15-25 FPS. He also mentioned the algorithm requires sorting. I'm not sure if they is because of the separate geometry or what. In SVO rendering with multiple objects you do end up using something similar to DX11 linked list for each pixel to sort the order of things. However they clearly state they don't fire rays and that they're not using raycasting.

Only a few people are having a bad reaction. If you check 85% of people liked the video. I'd imagine the rest are extremely skeptical as they should be. I mean I myself can't think of an algorithm other than raycasting to get the data back to the screen. :mellow: No wonder they're staying so secret. I mean it must be something no one has figured out before or something someone figured out and threw away because it had some problem that only this guy solved.

He also completely misinterprets Carmack and Notch's objections, and creates a false dichotomy between their statements.

I believe Carmack's reasoning is probably because they have people at ID doing SVO research. If he thought Euclideon was using an SVO renderer then he had reason to make the claims he did. The fact is it's probably not an SVO renderer so Carmack's assumption regarding his own technology is probably off-target. The same can be said for Notch who was seriously off on a lot of points in his posts regarding memory limitations. (Assuming they're storing the inside of the model and the surface in a naive format is kind of sad).
I don't see why you find this hard to believe. I mean they said it themselves using the CPU they only get 15-25 FPS.
What?

I believe that they can render their stuff at 15 FPS as they demonstrated.

I don't believe in the literal interpretation of his statements, which are nonsense. Do you beleive that infinity:1 compression ratios are possible, or that [font="Courier New"]O(1)[/font] search on unlimited data is possible?
If their island demo contained unique geometry, instead of the same instanced pieces, would it still run on that laptop? Dell implies that there are no restrictions here...

The complexity of the search will turn out to be related to the amount of data in some way.
There will turn out to be memory limitations -- you can't fit unlimited data in finite space.

I believe Carmack's reasoning is probably because they have people at ID doing SVO research. If he thought Euclideon was using an SVO renderer then he had reason to make the claims he did. The fact is it's probably not an SVO renderer so Carmack's assumption regarding his own technology is probably off-target.[/quote]Carmack said it wouldn't be ready for a game for a few years.
If it's running at 15FPS, then it's not ready for a game. If it's using 100% of the CPU for rendering, then it's not ready for a game. Carmack was simply saying it will take them a few years to fix those issues, which is probably true.
However, Dell interpreted this observation of facts as if Carmack was saying that it's impossible to make a game with their tech...rolleyes.gif

There's no way to know if their acceleration structure is a SVO or not, but he does say that they're using voxels... while also admitting he has no idea what a voxel is.

As for notch, he's right to call Dell a 'snake oil salesman', even if his product is real. As above, he's making claims that contradict computer science (e.g. ?:1), and making many other correct-but-misleading claims, which very fairly makes it snake-oil - a "product with exaggerated marketing but unverifiable quality or benefit".

In the video, Dell interpret's Notches view as one of "it's not special, everyone is doing it", and then dismisses this view by comparing it with Carmack's *supposed* view that "it's impossible". He also dismissed atomontage by saying it always demonstrates small, constrained scenes (which btw, contain unique and modifiable data instead of instanced data), and at the same time reveals that UD doesn't support real-time destruction/modification of the scene.

If he were honest about it's strengths/weaknesses, didn't try to confuse the issue by merging unrelated ideas with his tech, and honestly assessed competing approaches, they'd be fine. If he did all that, and also didn't speak like a condescending douche, and actually described his approach using real terminology, he'd be someone to look up to and respect.
But as is, he's just a snake oil salesman.

Looking on LinkedIn, they do actually employ at least 3 real games programmers (people with backgrounds in the industry) and a professional director (the kind of guy that directs 3 companies at once and has a work history of senior management roles) on their pay-roll, so they are acting like a real company trying to commercialize a real product. ...but that doesn't change the fact that he's currently made their real product into snake oil.

I don't see why you find this hard to believe. I mean they said it themselves using the CPU they only get 15-25 FPS. He also mentioned the algorithm requires sorting.

If this sorting has to happen based on where the camera is, where the objects are or whether something is animated, then that cost in reality is part of the search algorithm. So it can't be O(1) as Hodgman pointed out.
Is it just me or does anyone else find that Dell guy to be a complete douche-bag? Obviously I don't know him or his background (apart from the fact he worked in a supermarket), but from hearing his explanation of 'level of distance' :-\ I would say he is a charlatan who has no clue what he is talking about. Anyway....

He goes on a lot about how great it is to import graphics from the real world.

I found this particularly strange too, I love his idea that artists 'would go back to more traditional mediums such as clay' :-\ Someone should show him ZBrush! Does he write all his emails by hand too and then scan them in? Because it's so much easier that way! This just demonstrates that he has no idea about a real world content pipeline.

I have to admit though that the demo does look good, there's lots of repetition but the demo does look nicely polished. If it was here on image of the day I would be very impressed. What is less impressive is the claim that they can handle 'unlimited' detail. Anyone with half a brain knows that this claim is impossible, there are always limitations, and it's trying to get the best effect while working within these limitations that makes programming so much fun! He could save himself a lot of criticism by dropping the 'unlimited' part.

Is it just me or does anyone else find that Dell guy to be a complete douche-bag? Obviously I don't know him or his background (apart from the fact he worked in a supermarket), but from hearing his explanation of 'level of distance' :-\ I would say he is a charlatan who has no clue what he is talking about. Anyway....

Oh yes he is. His arrogance is beyond belief... He is probably betting on getting someone to buy his startup and then get away with the money. He makes it impossible for me to believe that he may have something of value, even of slightly more value than other research voxel renderers. The way he looks down on polygons and the serious, real work done by other non full-of-BS people just makes me mad...

I would also be VERY impressed if I saw this last demo (or even the older, unpolished ones) on image of the day but the poster would probably not make the claims Bruce Dell does.

But he's a vegetarian and sponsors a whole orphanage in India.

But he's a vegetarian and sponsors a whole orphanage in India.

laugh.gif Shit yeah, maybe his claims are right after all!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement